Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Candidacy Exams

I really have no idea what Wednesday morning will bring. I must remember that I selected my four favorite Professors, the four my educational interests are most aligned with, but quite frankly, I’m scared. I’m prepared, but scared. My candidacy exams have been on my mind since I first applied to OSU’s Ph.D. program in 2003. I wondered back then how I could possibly do something like that and be successful, but obviously it’s heavily on my mind now. I need to pass. I do not want to throw away $30,000, five continuous years of work not to mention the gas, and time spent away from Christi, Shayne and Shayla. I’m very pleased with the written portion which all of my committee members have received in the mail in the required ten days prior to my general candidacy examinations, but now it's time for what I believe to be my weakest area – my oral defense. Can I really answer questions for two hours on my research and do so in a scholarly manner? I hope so.

According to the rules, if any one of my four committee members thinks that my writing portion is not good enough they are to notify me and tell me that I cannot pass based upon my written work. At that point, I would have the opportunity to cancel the oral exam, or to try to continue for the experience anyway. Thankfully, I’ve not received that word from any of the members. Whew! So, it looks like Wednesday morning is on! My stomach is churning and my headaches have been back. Thursday will be a big day of celebration or a big pity-party; regardless, I know I’ll feel better!

I’ve heard horror stories from other Ph.D. students, but I’m praying for the best. Only one of my Professors has given me an indication of how he will handle the two hour exam. He told me that he will not play games and try to intimidate me. He will have thoroughly read my response to his question in advance and his questions will be legitimate questions that he’d really like to hear my knowledge and expertise about. He said he would not try to trip me up. He said that he cannot speak for my other three committee members and he’s served on doc committees in the past where some Professors think because they went through hell to get their Ph.D. that everyone else should too, but he will not do that to me. He said each exam experience is very unique.

My Faculty Advisor told me that I will start off with a fifteen minute opening and then they will begin asking me the questions. At the end of the two hours, I will leave the room while they deliberate. Their decision must be unanimous. Thankfully, I’ll find out that day. Regardless of the outcome, I’m walking across High Street to my favorite Mexican place and then going to pick up my season student OSU football tickets before driving home – THAT I am looking forward to!

She told me to focus in on my four literature reviews and to know the big researchers so that I can back up my findings by citing experts in the field and their research. I must respond in a scholarly manner. If I thought I was just sitting down and talking with interested teachers about my work, I’d be fine, but I fully realize they are the experts, they are published in these areas; they obviously know much more than I do about this. Yikes! Thursday cannot get here soon enough! If you think about it, please lift me up in prayer on Wednesday morning. Thank you! I will be wearing Christi's lip gloss, her American Girl perfume - both items sweet "fans" sent her and which I still keep in the bathroom drawer. I'll also be wearing a small angel pin so I can hopefully feel like the smart one is with me - I need smarts!

23 Comments:

At 16/8/08 9:32 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Praying all goes well on Wednesday! My head is spinning just thinking about that!

 
At 16/8/08 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela,

You've expressed your concerns in this post. Now wrap them up in a package and put them with all your other stored things.

When you were a beginning teacher, you had more expertise than many of the rest of us - and your quest for knowledge has never waned. You are prepared.

Show them what you know girl, and you will be fine.

 
At 16/8/08 9:59 AM, Blogger Kimberly said...

"Let GO and Let GOD"

He has gotten you this far, he will get you the rest of the way and the way that is the right way.

I will be praying!

 
At 16/8/08 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, from a fellow PhD student with candidacy exams thankfully behind me :) At least in my case, they weren't combative. Take this as a chance to show your professors how much you know, and remember that they really do want to give you the opportunity to succeed. Don't be afraid to reason things out, just make sure you have a point, know how you are getting there, and cite the supporting evidence! And when your professors ask you about your written work, keep in mind that YOU are more familiar with what YOU wrote than they are, and YOU are in the position to teach them what you learned in the process of preparing your answers. Your professors may be the experts, but the literature is vast and never conclusive, and this is your chance to show them new ways of approaching issues or expose them to authors with whom they may not be familiar. Good luck!

 
At 16/8/08 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck...not that you need it. I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit. If you have made it through the hell you have been through, these exams will be cake!!! :-)

Lisa in MI

 
At 16/8/08 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Angela, you'll do fine!! I'll say a special prayer for you tonight, and tomorrow night, and Monday night, and Tuesday night, and all day Wednesday!! I'll be as glued to my computer as possible on Wednesday evening waiting for an update! As a teacher of mine who I love dearly once told me, "I'm sure you'll kick academic butt!" heehee! I'm sure Christi will be there with you, just to be absolutely positive that nothing goes wrong! :)

All the best :)

 
At 16/8/08 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you Angela! I'm sure you'll do great! You've passed your life exam perfectly by being the best mom in the world!


Lots of love,

Oliwia

 
At 16/8/08 7:06 PM, Blogger Amanda Gillies said...

Angela,
You are an amazing woman. You will shine on Wednesday. I am sure of it. Christi will be there with you and we are all willing you on. Go for it, girl!!

I passed my own PhD on 1994 and can still remember my oral defense. It was scary stuff but my supervisor told me that I was the expert on what I had written. just had to tell my examiners everything they wanted to know. It went fine but I was still terrified all the way through.

Don't be terrified. Imagine Christi willing you on to pass your PhD. You can do it. You are so close and we are all so proud of you.

Best wishes
Amanda x

 
At 16/8/08 8:52 PM, Blogger Karen Aichholz said...

Angela, I have known you for a very long time. You will be brilliant. Keep a clear mind, take a deep breath and go for it.

We'll celebrate at the game Friday night. Look me up. I'll be with the band.

 
At 16/8/08 8:55 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Dearest Angela!! I will start praying right now that you sail through your oral defense. I know you will do great, and that you will have a special angel sitting on your shoulder, but just for good measure I will be praying for you too. You go girl!!

Love Holly

Holly Hart
Katy, TX

 
At 16/8/08 9:16 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

You can do it, Angela! I have full faith. I'm sending many prayers your way and will be most especially thinking of you on Wednesday!

Hugs,
Olivia

 
At 16/8/08 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, you can count me in for prayers on Wednesday morning. Just remember, no matter the outcome -- you have worked hard and you should be proud of yourself. Personally, I think you're not only going to pass, you're going to totally ACE this! Go in there with your head held high! God is with you!

 
At 16/8/08 11:05 PM, Blogger Christy said...

Angela,
Even though we've never met I'm praying for Wednesday to be a great day for you!
love, Christy

 
At 17/8/08 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big, exciting challenges coming your way, Angela, but nothing you can't handle. You've already passed the biggest test and been granted the most prestigious reward so anything from hereon in should be a breeze! Given the quality of your two greatest achievements; your girls, I have every faith that what you produce on Wednesday will knock their socks off. Go for gold!

 
At 17/8/08 6:59 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

Good luck to you...I'll be thinking of you....

 
At 17/8/08 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So exciting for you! I am whittling away at the word-count for my dissertation at the moment and really wish you every bit of luck. I understand how hard it is and I am amazed that you can achieve this with all your other committments! I hope you have a good celebration on Wednesday; I trust you will have the best excuse.

I'll be thinking of you,

Irene

 
At 17/8/08 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have faith in you Angela! And I will definetely be praying for you on Thursday!

I have been following Christi's site since a few months before she died. One day I sat down and read it from beginning to end. I know what you have gone through, and I really believe that you are a superb teacher and will get through this. Christi will be at your side all the way!

Wendy from Georgia

 
At 17/8/08 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck Angela! I'm sure you'll do great!! I'll be in PA having a last hurrah getaway before teaching/school resumes in Early September so I won't know your results until I return home. God Bless & I will pray for you!!

 
At 18/8/08 4:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoof luck on Wednesday Angela. I am sure you will blow them away. It is lovely to hae those things of Christi's with you but considering I am a little sister so to speak, I hope you are taking something with oyu of Shayla so she realises she is just as special to you and can also help you through your big day.

Please don't think I am being disrespectful, I am just thinking how Shayla may feel if she was reading your entry and saying great Mom has Chrsiti with her but I care too.

My thoguhts and prayers will be with you all the way over here in Australia. I will anxiously await news of your results. Fingers crossed.

 
At 18/8/08 7:31 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Sending you good luck prayers, Angela! There is no doubt in my mind that you will pass with flying colors!!

 
At 19/8/08 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela. Up until now I have been one who has followed your family's heartbreaking but courageous and inspiring journey...constantly keeping you in my prayers but not commenting. However, after reading this post, I want you to know that tomorrow (Wednesday) I will be praying for you to have peace of spirit and clarity of thought and speech as you answer all of the questions your professors pose to you. I also believe that your sweet Christi will have every angel in Heaven cheering you on as well. God Bless You Angela. I can't wait to read the good news tomorrow night.

 
At 20/8/08 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that things went amazing. I am sure that they did!

 
At 17/10/17 5:45 AM, Blogger Richard Almeida said...

Angela, I have known you for quite a while. You will be splendid. Keep a reasonable personality, take a full breath and take the plunge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home