Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, August 09, 2008

New Discoveries

I love it when things like this happen!! Unfortunately, they just don't happen enough, but....I'll take it! Anything new about Christi, I'll take it and embrace it!

Two new discoveries were recently made! One I'll share here. The other I'll share when I can access a picture that goes with our second recent "discovery". (Actually, I've taken this "relaxation mode" a bit too seriously and have been having entirely too much fun for well over a week now spending time with friends and family, and reading a couple of great books and working on lesson plans - all of my loves! I'll soon head for home and switch to "prepare for my oral examinations mode". I must! I'll also return email then, I'm certain I am behind! Sorry!!)

1.) While going through old email from my work account, I found these two pictures that I do not believe I ever saw before. They were taken by the sweetest woman, Rachel. She watched the girls for me one day while I had to go to class back in July of 2006 - weeks before Christi's death. Christi and her son were very good friends
and Shayla still loves when Megan babysits her. Although she didn't like when people teased her about having "boyfriends", Christi was buried with the "flipflop" ring Josh gave Christi for her 9th birthday. Christi loved wearing flipflops! Her last pair, the light blue ones my sister bought her that last summer, the ones that sat on the hospital floor beside her death bed, the ones I almost couldn't bring myself to pack up and bring back home, are in the chest at the foot of our bed now. We've definitely missed her this "flipflop" season.

Shayla reminded us so much of Christi today at lunch! Shayne sailed Nee Nee's boat over to a restaurant along the water. While waiting for her meal, she wrote this poem on a piece of "kitty stationary" a sweet fan sent to Christi. There is a darling picture of a kitten on the paper.

I am a kitten
and my name is mitten.
I prefer to be drier
and sleep by the fire.
I'll take a nap
and sleep on your lap.
Put me in a bow,
and never let me go.
As you can see,
I'm as cute as can be.

by Shayla Thomas, almost 9 1/2, Lake Erie

6 Comments:

At 9/8/08 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just wanted you to know, that I have spent over a week, reading your Christi's story.

What a lovely child....and what an overwhelming time this has been for all of you. My heart is broken just reading...I have no words, but wanted you to know I have been brought to my knees.

I am so grateful to you and to Christi. I will look at life entirely different now...there is no other choice.

Love and blessings.

Laurie (Manitoba Canada)

 
At 10/8/08 12:12 AM, Blogger Christy said...

Angela ~ I have followed Christi's site for years, but rarely post a comment. I, too, cannot believe it's been two years. Our family is now walking the same path as you. Our daughter passed away on June 12, 2008. She was only 7 and has an older sister who is 9. Seeing how your family has coped with the loss of Christi gives me much hope...hope that we, too, will be able to live as strongly and courageously as your family has. Best wishes always,
Christy
(www.caringbridge.org/visit/chloenewman)

 
At 10/8/08 6:55 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Great pictures of Christi there! I love them.

Shayla- I loved your poem and it looks like fun there on the lake.

With Love,
Heather

 
At 10/8/08 4:43 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Thank you so much for sharing, Angela! Those discoveries are marvelous!

Shayla, your poem is so sweet. You have so much talent!

Many hugs,
Olivia

 
At 11/8/08 12:14 PM, Blogger Alisa said...

So glad you found some pics of Christi! Shayla's poetry is precious. How cool for her to sail over to lunch! Hope you are all enjoying the last bits of summer vacation. My kids go back this Wed. and boy are they bummed!

 
At 11/8/08 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the newly discovered pictures! I remember seeing pictures of Christi and Josh in the pool from summer 2006 and how much fun they seemed to have with eachother. The bond Christi and her friends shared will last forever. Love & miss you Christi!

Shayla, that's a great poem! It seems like you're a talented writer like mommy and Christi :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home