Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, August 15, 2008

Laundry

This summer has been a time for home improvements. I cannot believe it, but this is MY laundry room! To me, it looks like one you'd see in a magazine! It is totally different than what we had before. I wish I would have taken "before" and "after" pictures of this room because you'd never believe it! The old room had the washer and dryer turned the other way - in a tight hallway fashion so you'd have to scoot in and get the laundry done. By rerouting the plumbing I can now walk in and "ta-dah" it's all right there. I love the new color and the cabinets instead of the flimsy wire shelf I had for nearly 15 years. Additionally, the front loader style is wonderful! With all of this new storage I have so much room it's astonishing. It's not quite finished, I want a side cabinet or counter or something for the side to cover where the old big sink (I never used) was, but I'm really tickled with it!

The girls' six month baby pictures. I've always treasured these! Although I didn't know it at the time, I think they're perfect for a laundry room. Christi was truly hanging from a clothesline I took to the studio in hers. The mother in me decided that was too dangerous for Shayla so I took a laundry basket and plopped her in there, with her bloomers on her head, for her six month shot. Thank God for these photos!
Well, I wish Christi's "markings" would not have stopped at age 9. This week, I put our height markings (Angela, Christi, Shayla) back on the laundry room wall. The girls always took great delight, after having a birthday or a "half", of standing against the wall while I'd put up their new mark. We'd admire their growth and they'd compare their height to mine and to each other's. It was odd this week to have Shayla get that 9 1/2 marking when her big sister (middle marks) didn't have that one. It will be hard to watch Shayla's marks continue to be placed upon that wall.
Baby Christi in the laundry basket, 1997.

As I reflect upon this entry, I think of two things. 1.) I can't believe even a laundry room makes me think of Christi! 2.) With all of the problems in the world, if I can sit and write about a laundry room, I'm very, very blessed!

2 Comments:

At 15/8/08 8:10 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Oh my goodness! The minute I saw the first picture I thought-- what great photos for a laundry room! They are absolutely precious.

It doesn't surprise me that you think of Christi even in a laundry room. She is everywhere. Christi has been on my mind so very much lately.

Loads of love to you all!

Olivia

 
At 15/8/08 11:53 PM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

I finally found a few minutes to catch up on some sites (in other words: can't sleep). I love the new laundry room! I never saw the old one, but this one sure is nice. I just love those photos on the washer. You're right, they are just perfect. I wish I had more permanent wall marks for the boys' growth. We had one of those growth charts that is like a wall decal. Problem is, the marks on it are not really permanent. I went over them with a sharpie, but it just isn't the same.

I'm glad you found some "new" photos of Christi! I am always so excited to find unexpected photos of Kendall. We've had a few pop up over the years. But seeing her bright eyes and smiling face in that picture makes it so hard to believe that she died just a few weeks later.

I know school is starting soon.... so bittersweet still. I'll be thinking of you, Shane and Shayla.

Love and prayers from Long Island,

Aimee
www.caringbride.com/ny/kendall

 

Post a Comment

<< Home