Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Christi's Helmet

Unlike many of her clothes and toys, we never did anything with Christi's helmet after she died. For whatever reason, Shayne packed it and took it to the Dude Ranch and I'm so glad he did. After my lesson, during our lunch break, prior to the trail ride he suggested I try Christi's helmet instead of using one I borrowed from Smoke Rise. I was stunned that it fit and I was so happy about it! Shayne adjusted the chin strap and I could only beam and think that this would be like Christi really going with us on the afternoon trail ride! I know she would have loved it! I don't know when my next time on a horse will be, but I think it will again be with her helmet on my head. I can't even describe why I thought that was so cool, but I really did!(PHOTO: August 2005)

I went out to the cemetery after school today....always tough. I really must get that cemetery plaque ordered. So hard, so hard, so hard!

Wearing Christi's helmet and trail riding with Aunt Marty and Dolly, Shayne and Shayla
Shayla and Pickles
Shayne cooked the most amazing meals over the campfire for us - awesome!
The Thomas Team on the Trail
Shayla tried her hand at roping while "Boot Scoot Boogy" played over the radio, precious!
Loving Ranch Life
Shayla on "Big Mack"

You've come a long way, Baby! (PHOTO: One of Shayla's first times on a horse, August 2005) Many times throughout the day today I just had to shake my head and smile. This summer, at the 4H practices, Shayla would not even try to walk or trot Skeeter through the poles, or anything else that was timed "contested". On Saturday, when she joyfully announced that she wanted to enter the "Extreme Cowboy Contest" on Sunday were were pleasantly shocked. She had no idea that she'd have to lope, or that there would be poles to go through. When she found out on Sunday, she handled it really well. At first saying she couldn't, and then saying she'd try.

After the contest, others came up to us and told us how well she did and that there should have been a "kids" division and an "adult" division since she was the only kid. We were just thrilled Shayla had fun and they put in a teenager connected with the ranch and let Shayla follow the girl as the pattern was so complicated (and took her 6:29 to finish). They didn't need to do that, but it was very nice! We were pleased it ended on a very high note for Shayla - amazed that she loped for the first time. When she shouted to me from her horse in the areana, "Next summer I can enter the poles!" I nearly cried realizing how much her confidence increased as a result of the weekend. What would we do without her? We are so blessed!

3 Comments:

At 21/10/08 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love that at one time or another all three of you wore the yellow fleece pullover!

 
At 21/10/08 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Angela, look at how much Shayla has grown since she first rode a horse! What a little cutie pie she was/is!
Very neat that you wore Christi's helmet. I would imagine that it almost made her that much closer to you, and I could totally understand how you'd want to ride again (wearing the helmet, of course) again.

 
At 21/10/08 9:20 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Oh, Angela, I can only imagine how special it is to be able to wear Christi's helmet.

I am so glad to hear that Shayla had so much fun.

Many hugs,
Olivia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home