Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Theatrical Kind of Day

This day was right up Shayla's alley (being the "theater girl"). First, for her gifted class, she had me video her doing a commercial advertising a book she read. She really got into this project and I'm certain (cough) everyone will want to run right to the library to read the book after viewing her commercial in class. It was so good! (OK, I'm bias, but I thought it was precious and she had a great time practicing and getting everything ready!)

Thankful for a break from working on my dissertation disaster, we met 40 of my students and their parents at Heidelberg this afternoon where we watched the musical, "Into the Woods". While I won't post photos of my students, my observations and conversations with them indicate they really liked it very much. I'm so grateful to teach in a school with supportive parents and I thank them for bringing their kids to the theater today since this was not a school activity, simply a "meet Mrs. Thomas at Heidelberg if you want to see this musical" type of event.

On Friday, the director (Dr. Jen) brought three of the actresses over to my classroom where they helped prepare us for what we'd see today. When the parents of one of the college actresses tracked me down to tell me how much his daughter loved coming to my class, I was really touched. These Heidelberg students were doing ME such a big favor! God is good! Shayne is driving back from Kentucky, so Shayla went with me and thought she was "all that" as she sat with sixth graders and ate dinner with 8th graders after the show! She really loved their attention.

Just before going to Heidelberg, I received a text from Olivia - SHE MADE IT!!! 13 miles!! Without a doubt, that is absolutely incredible! I bet on the day she was born (along with her twin sister) her mother never would have believed anyone who would have told her that ONE DAY Olivia would enter a 13 mile running competition! THANK YOU, Olivia! I believe Christi was holding your hand and trying to make you giggle while you were out there today! Thank you for raising money for her memorial fund and keeping her memory alive! I'm so very proud of you!!

Shayla got all except one of the actor's autographs. Imagine that! (smile) Many times my eyes wandered to where Christi's friends were sitting in the theatre and I wondered what she'd be thinking of the show. I'm willing to bet she would have loved this musical comedy, her friends and her sister did.

Shayne just called. He made it back to Ohio, but his grandma is in the hospital so he's stopping to visit with her on his way home. We learned from his mom this week that grandma has been sick, but this is the first I learned she was in the hospital. I pray she's back home soon!

6 Comments:

At 13/10/08 12:34 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Your students are so lucky to have you! It sounds like an amazing show and to have some of the actors come to the class beforehand must have made it extra special. I'm glad to hear Shayla had a good time too.

Loads of love,
Olivia

 
At 13/10/08 12:41 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

I just had to post after reading about your weekend events including seeing the musical "Into the Woods'. I have never actually seen the show on stage nor until recently even heard of it-but I was excited to read about a college producing it-you see my daughter who is 15 was cast as Little Red in her high school's version-which will go on stage in November. I am excited to see the show since this is my daughter's first big part and now I know it is really a great show.
Glad you had a great weekend.
I have been following the Thomas family and Christy's story for a long time. What an amazing and inspirational person she was in her short life-blessings to your family for keeping her memory alive in so many ways.
Christy fan
Tracy

 
At 13/10/08 1:30 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

Why does shayne travel sooo much now??? Did he get a new job?

 
At 14/10/08 3:40 AM, Blogger Leece said...

Hello - sorry I've just caught up with your last few posts so this comment is a bit out of sequence. The thing is, you've worked **so** hard on your dissertation and yet it's not quite what is needed. Although this must hurt very much and be hugely disapointing I also think in the years to come with Shayla it will be really helpful to her. Sooner or later as she gets older she's going to hit hurdles with exams and such like and to actually have a real bona fide example of when Mum was disappointed and didn't quite make it first time I think will be a help to her...just a thought. I struggled to get my Bsc, I can't even imagine going all the way to Phd - you're an amazing family and I love reading your blog, Christi must be so proud of you all. Love and Prayers.

 
At 19/10/08 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Thomas Team,

There have been no entries for you for a week... so just wanted to say I'm thinking of you, and I hope all is fine?

You take care and I can't wait for the blog to be updated!
Lots of love and best wishes xxx

 
At 19/10/08 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoping this finds the Thomas Team doing well and just busy! Missing your updates!
Hope you had a a great weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home