Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Running for Christi

PIC: Olvia and Shayla share a special bond.

An incredibly brilliant and kind-hearted woman, Olivia, started following Christi's journey (via her website) soon after Christi was diagnosed. For years, I emailed with Olivia not knowing too much about her. The more I learned the more I realized how amazing and how sincere she is. Olvia's older brother, Manny, died in NYC from cancer years before Christi was diagnosed. Olivia's told me many times how much she's learned about what her parents have gone through as a result of my honesty on the internet. And I really appreciate her sharing her "sibling insight" as I worry about Shayla and I've learned so much from her. So that was how our connection was born.

After Christi died, I was concerned I'd lose her friendship, as so many friendships change and die with the death too, but she continued to email, continued to donate blood in Christi's honor and so much more. Some may remember the "Virtual Tea Party" fundraiser for Christi's Memorial Fund Olivia held by baking all of those goodies last year for Christi's birthday party when I was so busy with my full time job and full time classes to do what I had hoped to do.

Olivia has also done MANY other things to raise money for pediatric cancer research and she is a volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House where we spent hundreds of nights. I am so blessed to know and love this bright young woman! (Additionally, Olivia has edited nearly every page of my writing since last spring. I keep telling her she's the one who needs to get a Ph.D., not me! And.....more about THAT "situation" of mine later, ergh!)

We finally met this fantastic individual, with a huge heart, last summer when she flew to Ohio for a wedding. Although I had known about her disability, I had totally forgotten until our greeting when I realized the struggles she's been through just with walking - something I take for granted. So the fact that Olivia is RUNNING and RUNNING 13 (yes THIRTEEN) miles absolutely is mind-blowing to us! We are so proud of her! Last year she ran six miles which was shocking, this is even more so - 13 miles. (It was actually Olivia who was one of my inspirations to start jogging this summer. I was emailing with her many times each day during my candidacy exam phase and I thought if she could run with everything going against her, I - in perfect health - needed to do it too!)

Listed below is from Olivia's Fundraising page. Her goal is to raise $2,000 for Kids Cancer Crusade & the Christi Thomas Memorial Foundation. She's almost there. I know times are very worrisome and there are a million great causes out there, but if you find it in your heart and wallet to give, please go to the Active Giving Site and let Olivia know you're cheering for her on Sunday too! GOOD LUCK, Olivia!! I know Christi will be holding your hand and cheering you on!

Donation Site: Make a Contribution at www.active.com/donate/christirun2008

FROM OLIVIA:
Running for Christi. Forever Loved, Forever Missed, Forever in our Hearts

As I did last year, I am going to be running in memory of my dear friend, Christi Thomas. Christi showed the world how to live life to the fullest against all odds. She not only exemplified how to live with cancer, but she taught us all how to live with dignity, grace and honor.

For four straight years Christi battled Neuroblastoma - a rare and very aggressive childhood cancer. She bravely fought with the strength of a soldier while maintaining the grace and beauty of a ballerina - teaching life’s lessons along the way.

Christi passed away on September 19, 2006 at the tender age of 9. Her spirit remains an inspiration to all who knew her. All funds raised will be donated to the Christi Thomas Memorial Fund and the Kids Cancer Crusade. These organizations were established in honor of Christi and her love of learning, of the arts and of helping those most in need.

For more information on these wonderful organizations, please visit:
www.christithomas.org and www.kidscancercrusade.org.

Thank you so much for your support!

Make a Contribution at www.active.com/donate/christirun2008

Total Donations as of today: $1,507

Olivia's Goal: $2,000

2 Comments:

At 10/10/08 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Olivia is AMAZING! How could I not donate! Run Olivia, Run!

 
At 10/10/08 11:01 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Angela, thank you so much for your sweet words. I don't deserve your friendship at all and I certainly would never have done all or any of this without your beautiful Christi to inspire me. Thank you so much for sharing her with us.

Love & hugs,
Olivia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home