Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Congratulations!

Tomorrow I'll again spend time at "New Generations" for one of my OSU class requirements. It is a wonderful school and I've really been enjoying my time there. This is a photo of Christi at "New Generations" (formerly the Betty Jane Preschool) on her first day of preschool: age 4, September 2001 - what an excited little cutie!

Recently, I finished reading "Gentle Closings" by Ted Menton. It doesn't bring Christi back, but it was helpful to read about his compassionate work with terminally ill children. I find I still can't shake the last three weeks of Christi's life here on earth. Everyday I replay it over and over and over. Looking back at the pictures I now see how fragil, pathetic and frail she looked; I truly didn't see it at the time. I still wonder many things and wish I could get the answers from her now, but I cannot.

Early this morning, we continued our family tradition of going all together to vote before heading off to school and work. Tonight we've learned of the results. Since Christi had her picture taken with some elected officials I thought I'd share those here. Congraulations!

Notice that Ohio Governor - Elect has a little "angel" hovering over his right shoulder. We never noticed Christi in that picture before. (Photo: Angela & Ted Strickland, May 2004) Congratulations, Ted Strickland!

When U.S. Congressman, Paul Gillmor, came through the line at visitation he shed many tears while offering us his sympathy. This picture shows happier times, when he came to donate at Christi's lemonade stand (June 2005, Old Fort Bank) Congratluations, Paul Gillmor!

In 2002, when our friend, Jeff Wagner learned that Christi wanted a cat, he said she could come over and pick one out. (That was about six weeks before Christi was diagnosed and I never ever thought that Buttercup would outlive the five year old who had just fallen in love with this precious kitty, but Buttercup lives on!) Christi often joked to Buttercup that she was so lucky having a plush life in our home instead of being a barn kitty out in the cold working hard to survive. She'd lovingly tease Buttercup, "Mommy rescued you," always making us laugh. Jeff also read for us at Christi's funeral mass and did an excellent job. Congratulations to State Represenative Jeff Wagner! (Photo: Christi at the Wagner's home, writing a story with Jeff, fall 2003)

Buttercup comforts Christi on what turned out to be their final day together, August 27, 2006
Buttercup provided Christi with much joy and entertainment (Photo: October 2002, Christi- age five, Buttercup the kitten- 3 months old)
Before Christi left for Philly, I knew she may not make it home for Halloween. Therefore, I gave her a special treat a sweet Prayer Warrior sent her and with Shayne's help she dressed Buttercup up in a "pumpkin" costume.

PS: Shayne's luggage safely arrived home yesterday, whew!

2 Comments:

At 8/11/06 8:49 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Great pictures of your sweet and precious Christi! Thank you for sharing.

Praying for you daily.

Lots and lots of love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 8/11/06 11:21 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Thinking of you all today and thanking you as always for sharing Christi and the memories you have of her with us. I know she is beyond missed and the memories make you happy ... I love looking back at the photos of her but I came to the same conclusion as you did on her last few weeks ... she looked so small ... she went from looking so grown-up with the world ahead of her to being so vulnerable and small ... those thoughts make me so sad but I am thankful for her life here for she has taught me so much about my own! Thank you Angela, Shayne and Shayla for the memories of Sweet Christi ... she is loved and remembered by so many of us out here ...

Love from my family to yours!
Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
Mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home