Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

True Story

Flashback: Christi, age 2 1/2 years with Darrin creating "art" (or something like that, hee hee) on my kitchen floor, spring 2000



For fear of individuals (or possible mass groups, hee hee) telling me, "You're crazy!" I've been a bit reluctant to share this story, but it did happen to us and I feel very, very close to Christi as a result - so here goes:

A few days before Christi died I knew I wanted to have her thumbprint captured on a necklace of some sort. I didn’t really know how it could be done, but I knew while she was still alive I could capture the prints and worry about the realities of it later. We're very lucky to have an incredible jewlrey store in our small town. I asked the nurses for molding clay, model magic, plaster, ink pads – anything I could think of that might work. (Hey – Shayne had those sweet, sweet nurses doing his laundry I could at least ask for some help too, right? Hee hee) I started capturing Christi’s thumbprints. (Meanwhile, an amazing Christi supporter from the other side of the country read the blog about this endeavor and he soon overnighted a wax molding kit to do just this. I wasn’t certain how it would turn out, but I was hopeful about the possibilities. More about Christi’s awesome Charm/Necklace later; our fellow neuroblastoma friends will be very excited!)

Two days after Christi was buried I went to Jeffrey’s Jewelry Store with all of the Christi thumbprints I had collected and talked with them about what I wanted to do. They had never heard of what I was thinking, but were very open to what I had in mind. I knew they'd work tirelessly to get what I wanted. While I looked around their lovely store, they put phone calls in to see what custom necklace could be created. It was decided that they would try to capture the actual ridges, by using one of the molds I had saved instead of using the ink pad prints. I couldn't wait to see it.

A few weeks went by and then I received a phone call that my order was in. With my heart beating so hard, I went back to Jeffrey’s praying I’d like the necklace. Well, there could be no doubt about it, it’s my new prized possession. (And they made me leave their store with tears of gratitude pouring down my face as they wouldn’t let me pay for it.) It’s stunning. It has to be VERY expensive! This photo I snapped simply does not due it justice at all.

Jeffrey’s put the beautiful thumbprint charm on the same necklace which lovingly holds Christi’s crucifix necklace, beautiful engraved with her birthdate: 5-12-97. This is the gorgeous necklace Christi picked out for her first Holy Communion, back in the spring of 2004 when we had a two hour delay from school. At that time I asked Jeffrey’s to only let her pick from the adult sized cross necklaces because if/when she died, I intended to make it my necklace to remind me of her. I loved Christi’s choice and not only did she wear it in her casket, but she wore it many other times as well. (She was buried with her “Chatty Cathy” necklace which matches her friends’ necklaces and this one was removed for me to wear and treasure before her casket lid was closed.)

About ten short days after I had received the beautiful necklace, a near disaster almost took place. My neck and upper back has been so stiff and tight it’s been very difficult for me to move with great ease. I was also not able to take off my necklace at night so when I was getting Shayla ready for bed I asked her to please take it off for me. I sat on the floor so I wouldn’t have to bend my neck down because it hurts so bad and she carefully removed the clasp for me. She handed me the crucifix but she didn’t know where the necklace or the charm was. I looked all around the floor where I was sitting and then got up and walked out into the hallway where I took off my sweatshirt and “ta-da” the chain fell to the floor. Still, I could not find Christi’s thumbprint charm despite the fact I was now without clothing and we were searching and searching. In tears I called for Shayne to help us look for Christi’s thumbprint. We had not left the area and it was no where to be found. It was not stuck to either any of us. I was crying so hard and begging Christi and God to help us locate it. After forty five minutes we gave up, Shayla went to bed and I went downstairs crying and talked with Shayne for a while before heading up and crawling into bed.

Many times throughout the night I woke up with worry about losing my beautiful necklace. In the morning, I got up and went downstairs where I learned Shayla had a two hour delay from school due to fog. I went upstairs to see if I could get back to sleep for a little bit and when I sat on the edge of my bed, I felt something cold. I reached down and sure enough – there on my side of the bed was Christi’s thumbprint!! I shouted and woke everyone up, but they were as shocked and happy as I was. (Keep in mind our bed is on the opposite side of the room from where the necklace was removed and from where I took off my clothing out in the hallway. Keep in mind that our bed was made on the night we were frantically searching.)

I’m certain naysayers will tell me that somehow it flew off of my necklace and across the room and got under the blankets all by itself, or that it was stuck to my body before I went to bed, but we are convinced that Christi is indeed with us when we need her. THANK YOU, dear Christi! You truly are amazing and I believe your spirit indeed lives on!!

Yesterday, Shayla received her first pair of glasses. We think she looks darling and oh so much older! (Picture: Wearing Christi's shirt, Shayla receives her new glasses.)

17 Comments:

At 14/11/06 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story, it sent tingles up my spine...I cannot imagine what you felt like. Your family continues to be in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 14/11/06 5:21 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

What a wonderful story! I don't think you are nuts and I believe it was Christi 100%!!!

Oh my gosh! Shayla looks BEAUTIFUL in her new glasses. I have to agree, much more grown up too. What a doll.

Love you lots!
~Jennifer

 
At 14/11/06 5:32 PM, Blogger Karen said...

What a lovely story. I wouldn't worry about people thinking you're crazy for believing Christi is watching out for you, willing and ready to offer assistance and comfort when it's needed. After all, what's the point in keeping the faith if you never leave yourself open to the rewards? I'm glad you found your treasured necklace, and that what was such a heartbreaking situation turned out to be a very special gift from above!

 
At 14/11/06 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! So sweet! For sure she is here with you!

Lots of love,

MD

 
At 14/11/06 6:12 PM, Blogger Frapper said...

I'm so glad that you found your precious thumb print charm, and I can't see how it got into your bed either. I, too, think that somehow Christi had a hand in making sure that the charm was safely returned to you.
Shayla looks so cute with her new glasses, and you're right--she does look older!
I hope that you all have a nice week, and my prayers for your family continue.

 
At 14/11/06 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela

I have been reading Christi's website for sometime... I find your journaling about her to be very inspirational - Apples don't fall far from a tree - Christi and Shayla are very lucky to have you and Shayne as parents...

I just thought I would share this website with you... http://www.thumbies.com/index.asp
If anyone else wants thumbprint charms - I read about this on another website of a child who also battled cancer bravely... Jacob Duckworth... his mother Heather posted it on Jacob's caringbridge website..

Keep journaling... I enjoy reading it - and being inspired by your faith.

janet

 
At 14/11/06 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela,Shayne,Shayla, My heart goes out to you all and your familys may God Bless You All. Thank you so much for sharing Christi with us. I enjoy reading your blogs and knowing how you are all doing. Today I was reading your new blog and before I even read who was in the photo I thought to myself, What a great photo of Christi and to find out it is of Shayla she looks so much like Christi she is so pretty in her new glasses. Christi will forever be in my heart. I found a couple of poems that I wanted to sure with you all I find them inspiring and I hope you all do too. Shayla you are a stronge young lady always keep your chin up remember Christi is always watching over you all. I am glad your trip was good. I know the holidays will be hard for you all but Christi will see you though them :)
Love, Candace



Our Family Chain

We little knew that morning
That God would call your name.
In life we loved you dearly:
In death we do the same.
It broke our hearts to lose you,
But you did not go alone,
For part of us went with you
The day God called you home.
You left us beautiful memories,
Your love is still our guide,
And though we cannot see you,
You are always by our side.
Our family chain is broken
And nothing seems the same,
But God calls us one by one,
The chain will link again

Author Unknown


This one is for Shayla :)

The Sister Song

Sometimes we're real close friends.
We stay up late and talk at night.
Other times we don't get along,
There are even times we fight.
But I know she's always there.
And I know she'll always care.
She's my sister.
I love my sister.
I've given her a great, big hug
When she was feeling bad.
And then again I've said some things
That have really made her mad.
But I know she's always there.
And I know she'll always care.
She's my sister.
I love my sister.
But I know she's always there.
And I know she'll always care.
She's my sister.

 
At 14/11/06 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story. I do believe that your angel was helping you. And what a beautiful necklace! Check out www.thumbies.com for other thumbprint creations.

 
At 14/11/06 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a lurker,of sorts. I have followed your story for many, many months and have never written. To be totally honest, in all those months, I was not even sure why I kept following her. Her story, her smile, her light... it all intrigued me past comprehension. I felt somehow DRAWN to her...almost as if I knew her. I live in Toledo - not far from where you all are, but that wasnt it.

I can recall distinct times where I laughed out loud at her goofiness or cried huge tears, begging God for mercy on her when things got rough.

And still... I could not figure out why I was so drawn to her.

I am a firm believer in Christ and lsitening to his whispers, so I didnt question it. I simply kept on praying for your family and kept on checking on you all.

I still am not entirely sure what purpose God had in putting your story in my lap. I am sure it will be revealed to me in good time. His time.

However, today, as I read your latest post, it became clear to me that I was right all along - God HAS been whispering to me.

My birthday is May 12 too.

God bless you and your family. Please know that a mother in Toledo is praying for you all and has been forever touched by your little angel.

Katie Peters

 
At 14/11/06 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, you don't know me, but I have been lurking around your site for a while now. I am in awe of your strength and courage. I may sound crazy, but I believe in things "appearing" out of no where. My step dad passed away 4 1/2 years ago. A month afterwards we found a picture of him in my hubby's truck. There was no reason for that picture to even be in there. To this day, we don't have a clue how it got there, but appreciate Keith giving us a sign if you will that he is still with us. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Sincerely,
Beth in Alabama

 
At 14/11/06 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Christi's Mommy,

I find your story of Christi's magic thumb print so compelling, so perfect, and so very believable. My dad died quite suddenly about 18 months ago. It was shocking and painful to be sure. I am a pediatric oncology nurse and so I have had more than my fair share of dying but this was my daddy and we were all broken. We had already lost my brother to ALL and so the pain was intense even with all the years that separated their deaths. Anyway, A few weeks after daddy died my mom lost her diamond earrings, his last anniversary gift to her. She didn't panic at first, she looked and figured she would find them the next day in the kitchen, Of course she didn't sleep much and spent much of the night searching. By morning she had convinced herself that she must have taken them off at work while on the phone. They were lever back earrings and occasionally she would hook them together. When she got to work...no earrings. The panic grew. Now when she got home she tore the house apart. She looked under furniture, moved appliances, everywhere finally landing in her bedroom with a flashligh looking under the bead. Still nothing. She cried and cried and cried. She called me and then my 3 sibs still crying while we all tried to reassure her that we would find them and reminded her that daddy always says jewelry is just a possesion and should be worn with out fear of losing it. She told us later that she just laid on the floor and cried praying to daddy to help her find her eaarings. After about 20 minutes she felt something cold in her closed hand and looked down to find daddy's diamonds hooked together right there in her hand. Nothing about your story is crazy. Those we love will visit us in the most precious ways because God most certainly knows that waiting for our eternity is just too long to go with out. I am certain Christi will come a visiting again!!!

May you be blessed with peace, comfort, and many Christi miracles!

Mindi

 
At 14/11/06 10:54 PM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

I have no doubt Christi stays close and tries to find ways to bring you comfort, and a little bit of humor too! I love the idea of the thumbprint necklass. You are so creative abou these things!

I absolute LOVE the glasses Shayla! She looks like she should be going to Heidleberg already!

 
At 14/11/06 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy to read your story! I truly believe that when people go to heaven that they do help us and give us signs especially when we need them the most. The necklace looks gorgeous!!!


Shayla, I love your glasses and I hope you are doing good. The glasses definitely make you look a few years older but cute as can be!

Sending lots of NY Love to all of the Thomas Team,
erin :)

 
At 15/11/06 1:36 AM, Blogger Mrs. B said...

Oh, Angela! That gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes!

I'm very much a realist and didn't think I believed in "stuff like that"...but it sounds like you have an Angel who delights in making herself known to you. That's wonderful!

Thank you for sharing with us readers! Even in your grief, you've shown us so much to be grateful and hopeful for in life!

Love and prayers to the Thomas Team from California!

 
At 15/11/06 8:22 AM, Blogger Kim said...

That is a beautiful sotry! If you are crazy, then sop am I because I too believe that Christi was with you and helped you find that thumbprint pendant. Maybe she had to "borrow" it to check it out (I'm sure she thought it was pretty cool!) and then give it a kiss before returning it to you!

Kim

 
At 15/11/06 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela,

I don't think that is crazy at all. I'm certain that Christi is looking over you and your family always, and I have no doubt that she returned the necklace to you.

I can't imagine the pain that you are going through but you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for continuing to post your stories. I am truly inspired by your family's determination and spirit.

 
At 15/11/06 10:09 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Angela~that story about your necklace gave me chills and I was laughing at the same time! Always the mischevious one to keep you on your toes! I am sure she was watching you all and laughing as you looked around ... I am SO glad that you found the thumbprint but I must say that as I was reading it I was afraid the ending wasn't going to be a good one! Way to go! Oh and Shayla does look way too grown up ... but she looks so extremely adorable with her new glasses ... I hope her eyes strengthen and she starts to truly enjoy reading now that it isn't bothersome! I will stop back again soon! I remain a faithful prayer warrior!

Love from my family to yours!
Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home