Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Made It

Other than a few fleeting thoughts which made me sad, I was so busy today I didn’t have time to think about the realities of it all. My students are awesome and made me realize how much I had missed teaching. Before I left for work I had to give myself a pep talk and remind myself that Christi would not understand why I had not returned to school the day after she was buried. Christi would go to school when she was too ill to go, but she’d do it anyway. Why couldn’t I? She would never have thought that I have spent at least one time per day curled up crying my eyes out over her death and the loss of her precious, young life. She would have thought I should just run out the door and go to school, a place where we were always safe and always "free" from cancer!

The picture I snapped of Christi's bedroom, exactly the way she left it, shows the calendar which she kept and maintained all summer – counting the days down until the start of school. While it makes me sad, I also continue to be filled with gratitude that she was able to attend for her first week of school at all given the daily increases of pain and fatigue. It was almost like “she knew” and was holding out to make it to school one last week before her rapid decline.

I actually jumped at one point at work today: I was in the lobby area with Mr. Jones and the middle school kids reviewing for their part in the Veteran’s Day program tomorrow. A couple of students motioned that someone was behind me and I turned and thought I saw Christi. It was Shayla, with her hair in a pony tail like Christi sometimes wore and of course wearing yet another Christi shirt. She had such a strong resemblance to Christi it was all so eerie. Shayla’s sweet teacher had sent her to me to get some cough drops. It was a very odd feeling.

After school Shayla and I went out to the cemetery. It was Shayla’s first trip and she asked me to bring her back again soon. She was mostly fascinated with the dirt being so low in comparison to the grass area and also wondered how Grandma Nonee’s coffin is actually going to fit between Christi & Grandpa’s because the area is so close. She also stood on the plot selected for her if ever needed and the ones above the girls selected for Shayne and I. She had fun jumping from gravesite to gravesite. I just kept thinking, “Oh, this isn’t really happening, right?” What brought us both incredible joy was finding three new items left at Christi’s grave: a darling, little Halloween candle, a Princess keychain and a beautiful ceramic / stone cat statue. God’s people are amazing, absolutely gifts to be treasured!

I have an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING “gem of a Christi story” to share. Some may read and think the three of us are crazy and that it isn’t true, but it is! Had it not happened to us, I would think so too! The story is a bit lengthy and my time here tonight is short, but soon I will tell you what makes us believe that Christi’s spirit didn’t die and that she is with us when we need help! (More later about our unbelievable surprise which makes me VERY excited!)

Tonight I learned that a huge Christi Prayer Warrior joined Christi back in God’s great Kingdom, Sister Gertrude- 83 years young. With Sister age I never thought it would be Christi welcoming Sister Gertrude to God's great Kingdom, but I’m certain that is what happened! Christi and I went to visit Sister at the Convent’s Infirmary at the end of July when Sister had taken a turn for the worse. I was absolutely stunned with how sharp Sister's mind was and how gentle she was, as always, with Christi at her bedside. Two amazing dynamos; together in a better place! God rest your sweet, soul, amazing Sister Gertrude. We love you!!(PIC: Sister Gertrude with Christi at Heidelberg's Lemonade Stand - September 23, 2005 CT at Berg's lemonade stand, 9/23/05 (Exactly one year to the day before she was buried)

16 Comments:

At 9/11/06 11:11 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Going back to school is a huge step, and I'm glad it went as well as it did.

I still find myself turning around to see someone I'm certain is a friend who died in high school. It is a strange feeling.

-Sarah

 
At 10/11/06 1:28 AM, Blogger Mrs. B said...

Congratulations on your first day back! I knew you could do it, and I can't wait to read your "gem of a Christi story" when you get a chance to post it.

I watched the video of the funeral a few days ago (it was absolutely beautiful!), and that night had a long dream about Christi--in it she was my cousin, and we were at Disneyland together. There was more to it, but it's really complicated.

You and your family are in my prayers, as always...

 
At 10/11/06 1:59 AM, Blogger Frapper said...

I'm so glad that your first day back to work is behind you and that it was a busy one that went well. I'm sure Christi had a hand in that, and I look forward to reading about your "surprise" from her.

 
At 10/11/06 7:20 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm so glad to hear (read??) that you DID make it back to school. I'm glad your students are so awesome and that you were able to get back to something you love so much.

I love the picture of Christi's room you shared- cat calendar- why am I not suprised?

With love and continued prayers for always,
Heather

 
At 10/11/06 10:54 AM, Blogger Lisa Krenz said...

You say how eerie it is to see how much Shayla looks like Christi....i dont think i am the only one to notice the resemblence ALL the time. In many of the pictures you share with us, i sometimes cannot tell the difference between the girls; especially when they were younger!

 
At 10/11/06 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure Christi is so happy with you that you are back working at the place you and her love so much! I am sure she was there with you all day! What a happy happy day! :0)

Love always,

MD

 
At 10/11/06 1:11 PM, Blogger mom2teb said...

I have been following Christi's story for a long time. I have never been so moved and inspired by such an amazing story. I wanted to thank you for sharing her with the world. The world is a better place for being blessed with Christi. To your family. You as well as most amazing. Your strength during these years is so admirable. As blessed as you were to have her as your girl, she too was blessed to have you. Again, thank you for sharing her wonderful story. It is an inspration to all.
Sending love and prayers from Wisconsin
Missy O'Krueg
www.caringbridge.com/visit/
bradyengle

 
At 10/11/06 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela,
I prayed for you all day yesterday as did a lot of people. I know it was God that led me to read the story of your courageous Christi and my life will never be the same.
I know without a shadow of a doubt that our loved ones spirits stay with us for a while. Sometimes it is to give us a good laugh or two and at others times it is so that we can feel their presense in order to keep going for one more day. I thank God everyday for continuing to share His precious children with us even if it is the faintest touch of their lips to our cheek.
May God hold you and your family strong in His arms.
In His Grip,
Sheila Ferrell
Texas

 
At 10/11/06 6:42 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Oh Angela, I bet there was one big party in heaven when Christi watched you go through that door! I can't wait to hear the story. xoxoxo

love, sylvia

 
At 10/11/06 9:50 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I still think of Christi every day and I come to the website often to check on the Thomas family and its always very nice to hear you are making progress (dispite the few little set backs that are to be expected) I do miss hearing new stories of what Christi is up to so i cant wait to hear the new story.

All our love,

Lisa www.edenadams.com

 
At 10/11/06 10:03 PM, Blogger nikki the red said...

jumping rope is very exhilarting! i'm glad you got to!

i'm sure sister gertrude was met by the beautiful christi!!!

 
At 11/11/06 9:03 AM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

I'm so glad you made it back to the job you love! I have no doubt being around your students again will only help in your healing process. That photo of the chalkboard just says it all. She will always be with you and always love you. Her thoughts were always of her family and friends. You are very brave Angela. I know it was a difficult day.

We will be saying a special prayer for Christi and your family tomorrow, which is Rememberance day at my church. It is the day set aside to honor all those that have gone before us during the last year who touched our hearts. I will set a flower in the cross for her.

With love and prayers,

Aimee, mom to Kendall and Zachary

 
At 11/11/06 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas Team,
I have been following Christi's story for quite sometime. It is such an inspiration for me to read about your wonderful family. You seem like such a strong and courageous person and I come to read your posting each day because I find that they help me as well, I too lost my son to neuroblastoma on Sept. 18, 2006. We never did get to meet your family. Christian was treated at MSKCC as well. I just wanted to let you know that you are an inspiration even to those whom you have never personally met. Christi sounds like such a wonderful girl and I am sure that her and Christian are playing together right now.

Natalia Vitier
http://www.made4youmemories.com/christian/memorial.html

 
At 11/11/06 3:12 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

I find myself visiting et again even though there isn't another update I feel I NEED to see Sweet Christi's face ... her innocence and zest for life - it is such a cliche thing to say BUT boy you rasied an unbelievable little girl and she has helped to change SO many people's lives. Thank you for sharing her life and her story with so many people. As hard as it is to watch and read about your days without Christi here on earth it is still an aazing story to read. I know your loss can never be explained to anyonewho hasn't traveled this path but your loss has helped me to appreciate everything that I have and to NEVER asume that you have tomorrow. I am proud that you made it back to school and I am glad to hear that it was an "okay" day ... that message on your board from Christi was prescious and it was a Godsend that you had your camera along with you! I know I keep saying thankyou for telling us more about Christi and how she lived her life ... Thank you!

Love from my family to yours!

God Bless ... a faithful prayer warrior that CAN NEVER forget!

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 
At 12/11/06 5:50 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

I'm glad your return to school went better than expected. I knew your students would be a great support for you!

I hope you had a great weekend with the Bakers. Sounds like you definitely have some catching up to do - 4 years!

I can't wait to hear your "gem of a Christi story". I promise I won't think you're nuts. =)

Does Shayla go to Toledo Wednesdays? I don't have class this Weds night because my prof is speaking at Princeton. So, stop on by if you'd like some crunchy cod on a bun! hehe

Love you!

 
At 13/11/06 12:16 AM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

Someone just left this on Christi's MySpace. I thought it was beautiful.

"Death is nothing at all. I have only slipped away into the next room. I am I, and you are you. Whatever we were to each other, that we still are. Call me by my old familiar name, speak to me in the easy way you always used to. Put no difference in your tone; wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be ever the household word that it always was, let it be spoken without effort, no trace of a shadow on it. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was. There is unbroken continuity. Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am waiting for you, somewhere very near. Just around the corner. All is well."

- Henry Scott Holland (1847 - 1918) Canon of St Paul's, London

 

Post a Comment

<< Home