Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Improvements

I think it's going to get easier; I really do. It's been a killer of a week, but I don't believe anyone would ever know that! I'm very good at being able to compartmentalize and I thank God for that! Coming home and crying while I write really has helped me.

Now that I've made it through four days of school I can say that at times seeing Christi's gentle little friends, sitting in their desks, is actually nice. Christi has the sweetest friends and I know that they will never forget her. I want to be the best teacher possible for them; it's like the only way I can pay them back for being so nice to her. While they may be afraid to say her name, and I've worried about how uncomfortable they may be with me, I've said "Christi" briefly as we are currently working on autobiographies. As I shared my examples, I explained I have two daughters. "Most of you probably remember Christi, my oldest daughter." I also told a little funny tidbit that Christi said when she was about four which made them laugh. We were reading an autobiography where the author was in trouble so his mother called him by his full name. Many of my students said that happens to them too as they shared different stories. (PIC: Christi at her first Dance Unlimited recital, 1 year old. June 1998)I told them about checking into a Chicago hotel when Christi was about four. When Shayne realized the desk clerk had a name tag that said, "Christine" he picked her up and said, "Look! She has your name!" Christi leaned forward, sized up that name tag and proudly exclaimed, "That's my 'getting in trouble' name!" It's really hard not to be envious of them and not to feel horrible for them too as I know the loss they've experienced. One day this year I may even tell them about Christi getting kicked out of day care for biting for six weeks when she was 16 months old. I think they'd find that shocking and hilarious!

Our students have a little tradition where they sign their names on each other's binders with words like "Friend" or "BFF" (Best Friend Forever) beside their name. Seeing those names on Christi's very special friends' binders nearly took the wind out of me when I saw them earlier this week as obviously Christi's name wasn't there. As the students changed classes, I told a colleague that just seeing the binders felt like a knife going through my heart. He knew I was having a challenging day and he told me, "But Christi now has new friends and these friends are the forever kind." I had to laugh at that one!


The first day I had all of my students complete a survey so that I could get to know them better and so that we could chat about it on day #2. One of Christi's friends, who used to decorate our front door when Christi was in the hospital to welcome her home, wrote something that made me bawl when I sat at the kitchen table reading them - but in a good way. The question said, "If you could go back and give yourself advice, what would that advice be?" She wrote, "Spend more time with Christi". When the girl was in near tears in my classroom the following day, I called her mom. Talking and crying with her really helped. I know many of these kids miss Christi too. Christi was so blessed with great friends, and I am too!

Tomorrow will be GRAND! I heard from Shayne after school today. He is now in Holland and will soon be on his flight home after something crazy like four countries in five days, touring plants and looking at equipment in very rural areas. I know he'll be exhausted, but he's just going to have to get over it because my sister and I have made big plans! While Shayla and I had a great week together, it's just not the same without him here.

9 Comments:

At 28/8/08 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gift of talking being able to talk about someone who has passed is the best and most important thing of all. A girl in my class died (in a traffic accident) when we were about 6. It was only over the past few years when I talk to my then classmates that I realised that I wasn't the only person who missed her all those years. The teachers never discussed her again and I recall that sense of (or course irrational) embarrassment when I met her parents and brothers/sisters afterwards. I just didn't know what to say. I think kids are so worried about upsetting adults because they don't understand that sometimes being reminded of someone who is gone, although it can hurt, is also a precious moment and an important part of the process of bereavement. I was scared of saying the right thing and even of feeling sad because I was unaware that anyone else felt the same, or that saying that I missed her could have been appreciated by her family.

I wish it had been otherwise and that we could have more actively remembered this little girl. I also wish that I could have told her parents that I missed her and remembered her, or even just talked about the little memories - like the toys I got in her party bag when I was 5. When we had left primary school and were about 16 before we all went to university I visited her grave along with a group of her friends (as part of an informal school reunion). I know that we still think of her, even all these years on. In fact I was thinking of her at the weekend because the children in my church had done a display around her favourite song "If I was a butterfly". It's 20 years since she died.

Angela, all of this - the blog, keeping your family together, teaching Christi's friends - keeps her in our minds and our prayers. I'm glad for these kids that, although it must be such a challenge for you, that they have the full opportunity to celebrate Christi's life and their memories of her, even though she's an angel.

Irene (really feeling for you tonight and for those children in your class)

 
At 28/8/08 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Spend more time with Christi" absolutely brought tears to my eyes. I also have a friend who is fighting cancer and I haven't talked to her in forever. I kept meaning to send her a text message to see how she's been, but have simply no idea what to say. Upon reading that line, I picked up the phone, and sent a simple message. Finding what to say was easy- sometimes a simple conversation is best.

Angela, I am so glad you are enjoying working with Christi's friends! I bet it will be a great year full of many memories and happy tears as you all remember the amazing girl together.

I am also very glad Shayla enjoyed her first day of class! What a great girl she is! And also, about Shayne being in Scotland- there are literally hundreds of HGs in Scotland this time of year, one happening on the other side of the Firth of Clyde from him, in the town of Dunoon in Argyll, as I write this. Tell Shayne to go find a kilt and check it out- Cowal is the biggest highland games in the world!

All the best :)

 
At 28/8/08 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how emotional every day of your life is. It has helped me to make better choices as a perent I think. I am also a teacher. I would love to see your survey of how to get to know your students better. If you would like to share it, please sned to BillNKass@comast.net.

You are stronger than I ever could be. God Bless you and continue to give you strength.

 
At 28/8/08 11:09 PM, Blogger Jen said...

What a brave, brave woman you are. Many hugs!

 
At 29/8/08 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures Angela! Christi looks so adorable, how could she possibly have been suspended from daycare!!! LOL
Shayla looks so sweet, headed to school with flowers for the teacher. What a sweet tradition that is!
Angela, you have been dealt something that the majority of us could never imagine dealing with, and yet you continue to amaze me and inspire me because of the parent you were to Christi and the parent you continue to be to Shayla. Let me tell you, it is not only in your classroom that you are teaching, we are all learning here from your blog as well!
Pat yourself on the back. You deserve it!

 
At 29/8/08 8:00 PM, Blogger Holly said...

That sweet face with tongue sticking out - WHO could possibly kick her out of school??? So funny! Glad you and Shayla made it through this tough week. Enjoy your 3 day weekend with Shayne and Shayla. You will be "sha-rounded" with love!

Love Holly in Texas

 
At 29/8/08 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how tough it's been but I'm glad Christi's friends are so sweet and have made you feel better. I absolutely love the picture of baby Christi with her tounge out, what a beautiful girl! I'm surprised about the biting, I'd have never guessed that from your sweet girl! :) Love & miss you Christi!
Glad to hear Shayne will be home soon!

 
At 2/9/08 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been a while sice you updated. I hope you are doing ok.

 
At 2/9/08 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look so so similar! They ae both such beautiful girls. I found Christi only today through Kahlilla and though i've only been reading your journal for a few hours now, I miss Christi. I am so so sorry for your loss but am glad knowing she is remembered and loved by so many.
Thinking of you all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home