Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Horrific Sadness

Please lift up the sweet Mason family in your prayers. Matt (seated, left, dark tee shirt) one of our Seniors was killed yesterday morning on his way to school as his car rear ended one of our buses. The sun was so terribly bright; it was incredibly hard to see yesterday as many teachers omplained BEFORE receiving word this accident occurred. He was wearing his seat belt and I cannot believe this fine young man was anything but a careful driver!
I had the pleasure of being Matt's kindergarten and his 8th grade reading teacher and I work with his dad who is our janitor. Matt, who would have turned 18 tomorrow, was one of the most polite students I've ever taught. In fact, he would always carry a handicapped boy's books to class for him.

Ironically, because it's so hard for this special needs boy to get on the school bus, (and because they were great friends) Matt would drive him to school. Matt was on his way to pick up that boy when the accident happened. The bus was stopped to pick up a preschooler who thankfully boarded the bus and just sat down the the crash occurred. The last time I saw Matt was on the way to church last week. I remember thinking, "That's Matt! Not out racing on a dirt bike or playing video games like many 17 year olds, but out working in someone's yard." When they say only the good die young, I must agree! May God give his family comfort during this horrendous period of their life. Please hug your loved ones today and tell them how much they mean to you! Matt's family has a strong faith and I'm afraid it is only that which will get them through.

PHOTO CAPTIONS: #1: After reading and discussing a novel I often assign a chunk of the book and have teams "Freeze" a scene. Their classmates then have to figure out what they are acting out and questions are permitted. In this case, they are acting out a wedding scene in "Sing Down the Moon". It was hilarious as one of them was pretending to be a girl. Their classmates LOVED it! (The teacher did too!)

#2 The students discuss their team poster regarding their findings of their topic

#3 Matt (in the back, right side, dark shirt, looking at me) and his 8th grade reading class, August 2004



News Links:

http://advertiser-tribune.com/page/content.detail/id/508891.html?nav=5005 (Terrible crash photos you may not want to see.)

http://advertiser-tribune.com/page/content.detail/id/508892.html?nav=5005

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=9024355

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=6396924

12 Comments:

At 18/9/08 7:02 AM, Blogger Meg said...

That is just so sad! My prayers are with Matt's family!

It is true. Only the good die young! He sounds like he was a great kid, and had a beautiful angle to welcome him into Heaven!

Thinking of you as "the day" draws near. May the good Lord hold you close!!!!!
Megan in NC
www.meganseyesonly.blogspot.com

 
At 18/9/08 7:29 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Oh my goodness Angela,

I'm so terribly sorry- how awful. I will remember Matt's family in my prayers.

With tons of love and prayers for your whole school family,
Heather

 
At 18/9/08 8:10 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

My sympathy goes out to all of you. This is so sad. Matt was an amazing young man.

Love,
Olivia

 
At 18/9/08 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much sorrow - how awful. I'll keep Matt in my prayers. Thinking of Christi - especially she will be on my mind tomorrow. I have two significant deadlines for the 19th, so I hope that the "smart one" will intercede for my success on the anniversary of her passing!

Best wishes to you, Angela, and to Shayne and Shayla on the anniversary of your lovely girl,

Irene

 
At 18/9/08 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This story took my breath away. One of our town seniors rear ended a school bus on tuesday of this week ( also due to bright sun ), but came out with some stitches and a serious bump on his head. I am, at this moment, lifting up this family in prayer.

 
At 18/9/08 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela, Shayne & Shayla.

Just wanted to let you know that my love & thoughts will be with you all through tomorrow. As you know I work with childrenwho are facing the same battle that Christi did and she continues to be a great "friend" and inspiration to many of them, as are the rest of the thomas team to their families. Tomorrow afternoon we have a therapy group with the 7-12 year old kids that takes place at the English time equivalent of when Christi died. When we were thinknig about what activity to do tomorrow,they all decided (entirely independent of any comment or guidance from me) that they would like to spend the first hour of the session drawing pictures & writing messages to their friend Christi on brightly coloured balloons to make a "rainbow of love" to send up to heaven. They did something similar for another NB angel called Kahlilla when she died a couple of weeks ago. These are children who are unlikely to survive beyond the end of this year and their journeys have been made so, so much easier becuase of Christi - they have learned so many of the important lessons that Christi taught us all. Comments such as "the more you know Christi, the less scary cancer and heaven get" and "I know through Christi that I'll still be part of my family and that I'll still be able to love mummy & daddy when I'm an angel" and the very special "Christi gives me brave". Similar comments come from siblings about shayla and many parents look to you and shayne as a source of support, companionship and hope. I am proud to have known Christi (and all of you) in the small way that I do and I can imagine how your hearts must also swell with pride, love and many happy memories of your beautiful, witty angel. I know that these things do not go too far in bringing much comfort to you all at the moment and I so wish that things could have been different for you all but then again it simply wouldn't be "Christi's story" any other way.

Sending you all of the love, strength and as many prayers as I can and also sending you everything that language is too clumsy to allow us to say.

I am certain as I can be that Christi will be with each of you all through tomorrow doing all of the things that she knows keeps you all close together (after all angels can be in more than one place at once!).

I also am certain that there will be one very big celebration in heaven as the anniversary of the arrival of one of the most special angels is celebrated - have a lovely day Christi - you are loved and missed by so many friends.

Love Nicky (Lake District, England)

Also I would like to add my prayers and love to those being sent to Matt Mason's family as they begin to try to find a way through the pain of the loss os their treasure - another very special young man who I am sure will have been welcomed by Christi.

 
At 18/9/08 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless Matt's family. And a special prayer for strength and peace to the Thomas Team on this 19 September. We are thinking of Christi's anniversary today......Michelle in Australia.

 
At 18/9/08 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing a little bit about Matt with us, I can definitely see what a great guy he was. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Mason family and Matt's friends.

Sweet Christi, please send mommy, daddy and Shayla signs of comfort tomorrow on your second angelversary. Love and miss you!

 
At 18/9/08 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,

It's shortly after midnight here in England and sleep isn't coming easily - thinking of you very much and just wanted to let you know that i'm sure that my smiles and tears will be mixed with yours throughout the day. Love to you, Shayne. Christi and Shayla xxxx

 
At 18/9/08 11:22 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I'm so, so sorry to hear that - his family and friends and your community are all in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 19/9/08 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Thomas Team,

It is the 19th here. Just want you to know that I am thinking you and Christi.

 
At 19/9/08 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My prayers are with Matt's family. Such a sad, tragic ending to a special life. I'm so very sorry for this loss...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home