Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Distraction

(September 2002, pic) God works in mysterious ways I often hear. If there was doubt, I'm believing it now. Who else, but the Lord, would know at this time of year I need a good distraction. My mind would be wandering to what was going on in early September 2002 when Christi was diagnosed and to early September 2006 when Christi entered the hospital for the final time if it weren't for a good distraction. I'd be worried about teaching her classmates and not her, without this great distraction. Now in recent days I've been so busy preparing my lesson plans and materials for a sub so I can get to my doctor appointments that I haven't been able to get consumed with "all that". Thank you, Lord!

(September 2006, pic) We met with the surgeon this afternoon. Shayne knew him from the YMCA (small world, small town actually!). I thought he seemed "young". (You know, like in his 40s, young!) He said I was the only patient who ever requested to see what the gall bladder looked like before, but he's checking on it. I know I must be crazy, but I want to see it. My surgery is scheduled for late next week; I'll just try not to tell myself that was exactly when Christi was in a hospital being diagnosed in 2002 in the same town. What was really good though was that we have a brand new hospital - no memories of Christi being tortured there! Praise God! I was so happy this summer when the old one was shut down. I couldn't remember the happy occasions of the girls' births, just the horrific needle pokes that ALWAYS worked Christi up, then we'd have to go to school. Crazy life! I don't know how I lived it. Sadly, there are hundreds more still living it each day as they fight for their kids' lives too. Yes, I'd rather be in that fight, but why must cancer exist at all?

(Aug. 2005, pic) Grading Theresa and Kaylyn's wonderfully written autobiographies they did for my English class brought happy tears today. I know I don't have the guts to tell them because I'll cry, but both of them wrote about their friend Christi and I was deeply touched. They even had her exact day of death. I was quite surprised. They are so sweet! I hope "Angel" Christi can guide her friends in good ways and be there for them during the many tough days they will face in and out of school. Kaylyn wrote she wanted to go to college to be a nurse. Oh, I cannot possibly imagine a better nurse than Kaylyn!! Actually, I ought to see if I can take her with me next week because that girl is so cute and so sweet; I know she'd make me feel better!

3 Comments:

At 3/9/08 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Angela, that you have a distraction right now, no matter how unpleasant the distraction might be -- I know it can't compare to thoughts of previous September's. How sweet that Christi's friends wrote about her. I am so glad for you that you had that sweet surprise.

 
At 3/9/08 7:28 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

I can't even begin yo imagine how hard these days are for you. It's simply not fair. You're right, Angela, cancer should not exist at all.

Loads of love,
Olivia

 
At 3/9/08 10:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I havent visited in a while but I wanted to stop by to say that I think of Christi often. I am so happy to see how big and gorgeous Shayla is. I am sorry that you are not feeling well and I hope that your surgery will help!! I am also glad this has been a sort of distraction for you..
I also want to say that every single day of my son's life I have been able to just enjoy him to the fullest. I do not take any day for granted. I have Christi to thank for that.. :)

God bless and I hope you feel better soon!!
In my thoughts and Prayers

Love
Staci C.
Hamilton Sq. NJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home