Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Shay's First Days of School & A Detour to the ER

Since I had this entry ready to go last week I'll go ahead a post it now. I managed to teach a half day today even though I feel like I'm in a daze, most likely from all of the meds. I'll teach again in the morning and then actually meet with the surgeon tomorrow afternoon to see when he'll be removing my gall bladder.

My sister and her family arrived at the condo late Friday as did Shayne. It was great to see them all and all was wonderful. Saturday was the day Shayla had been waiting for, her yearly trip to South Bass Island (better known as "Put-in-Bay"). The morning was lovely and then after lunch it was once again like my food didn't settle and that I'd soon be sick. We were going out on Christi's sweet Chemo Angel's sailboat and on the boat I just thought since I'd never really been on a boat like that before I must be sea sick. I didn't want to ruin any one's fun, but after many hours I indicated to Shayne I was about to have another "stomach attack" as I've called them. When it didn't end for hours, I knew it wouldn't be long until I was sick, very sick.

Thankfully, we made it back to the condo before my "vomiting fest" began and lasted for hours. I kept wondering if I should go to the Emergency Room, but didn't want anyone to think I (someone who doesn't drink any alcohol) was some drunk stumbling in from the Jet Express or something. Finally, about 6AM I had Shayne drive me there and that is where an ultrasound showed I have many gallstones. So, yes indeed, dear bloggers I should never have listened to my doctor; I should have listened to you last winter when I first shared my stomach problems and many said it sounds like your gall bladder. I cannot believe I've been dealing with this on and off again pain since last October and have been taking the wrong medicine for it too. Well, at least we knew the way to the hospital in Port Clinton. Due to Christi's situation, I made certain I would be able to drive there if ever needed; I just didn't think it would be needed for me!

Thankfully, tomorrow I'll know when this new doctor will remove my gall bladder and then I think I should be much, much better! (I just hope it's not this week as last week I had to give my OSU football tickets away because we were going to the lake and this Saturday I'm planning to take Shayla to her first OSU game.) I didn't get to visit with my sister, nor very much with Chris and her husband, nor have I caught up with Shayne yet either as all of the medications have put me right to sleep and I haven't been well. I know it'll be ok! During the ER visit, I kept thinking "THIS IS EXACTLY HOW we spent that final Labor Day with Christi! THIS IS WHAT I DON'T WANT TO REMEMBER!" And I wondered as they started my IV and drew blood, how was she so brave? I was so scared and asking Shayne to tell me stories from his trip (but not funny ones because it hurts to laugh). How did that little sweetheart let them do so many horrific things to her? God bless sweet Christi!
4th grade (2008)
3rd grade (2007)
2nd grade (2006)
1st grade (2005)
Kindergarten (2004)

10 Comments:

At 2/9/08 1:35 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

Sorry about the gall bladder. You must be either in a great deal of pain or loopy from pain meds. I hope it all goes smoothly and quickly.

VB

 
At 2/9/08 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I'm sorry your weekend was cut short by pain and a trip to the ER, I'm so thankful that you FINALLY know for sure what has been the root cause of all that pain Angela. My prayer is for a safe surgery and super-speedy recovery. Keep us posted how you're doing.
Thanks for sharing all those great photos of Shayla on her first days of school. What a sweetheart she is!

 
At 2/9/08 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get well soon Angela!! Thinking of you and wishing you all the best

 
At 2/9/08 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited about your gall bladder removal! Does that sound weird? Well, let me tell you...I felt 100% better IMMEDIATELY after my surgery. I went to Burger King as soon as we left the hospital (30 minutes post-surgery). My recovery was not bad. I just felt like someone had beat the tar out of my stomach. But even that was better that the rotten gall bladder pain. Many prayers for your surgery and recovery!

 
At 2/9/08 4:54 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Thinking of you, Angela and sending loads of love!

Hugs,
Olivia

 
At 2/9/08 5:17 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Angela, I am so very sorry you have suffered so long with this. It is always so aggravating to find out that you could have had relief sooner. I have to admit I also think of Christi when I have to have a medical procedure done. How did she do it? So brave. I hope your surgery and recovery goes well.

Covering all of you in prayer,
Love Holly in Texas

 
At 2/9/08 9:46 PM, Blogger Emmers said...

Get well soon!

 
At 3/9/08 12:39 AM, Blogger LMM said...

Angela you will feel sooooo much better after it is removed, I know it's hard not to worry but trust me.

Like you, I suffered stomach episodes for two years before I was finally correctly diagnosed. As I awoke from the surgery, I could already tell that I felt better even as I was hurting from the surgery. You will be so relieved that you can eat again without worrying. It's been 9 years since mine was out and I haven't had a BIT of stomach trouble since.

I asked the doctor who finally uncovered the problem why it took so long and why my pain was in my stomach, since it actually wasn't hurting where my gall bladder was. He said something I think of often: "If your neighbor's house was on fire, you'd be pretty upset!" And the gall bladder is truly the stomach's neighbor! LOL!

You and your family continue to inspire and motivate me. Following your journey has been a blessing I'd never imagined having. You'll be right as rain very soon.
Lisa in Idaho

 
At 3/9/08 10:21 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I hope you feel better once your gallbladder is removed. Looks like Shayla had fun at Put in Bay

 
At 3/9/08 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Angela!! I hope you feel better soon(and "told you so" :) LOL, JK) Just get better. What an inopportune time. I know you don't want to miss any school, but you'll need to have the surgery sooner than later so you can start to feel better. Thank you for continuing to share your life and family with us. HUGS from Wisconsin! Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home