Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Dwelling - Family Parties 2005 & 2008

We thought if we didn't make it to the ski resort today, we might not make it for quite some time so we took off - not realizing it was 10 degrees with wind chills 20 below. Shayla didn't mind at all and I worked in the warm and cozy lodge so we all had a lovely afternoon. It's so hard to believe this is Shayla's FOURTH SEASON of skiing (something Christi never did once). As I watched them ski from beside the fireplace in the lodge, I quickly noticed Shayla's tremendous improvement over last year (and the fact that she's now almost better than Shayne). He always likes her to follow him for safety, but she did ski right around him on a few runs today. And at the end of the day (OK, I can't quit laughing) ONE of them was covered in snow, while one of them ended the day perfectly clean! (Shayne said he fell twice today. When he crashed on the last run, his skis and poles went flying. He got himself together, laughed and thought, "It looks like a yard sale. My equipment is everywhere.") Shayla also took one tumble today, but not a big wipe out I understand. Pretty good in my estimation. OK, her bias mommy thinks she's awesome!

When we went skiing in college, we said if we ever got married and had kids we'd ensure they learned to ski. (Little kids were zipping right by us as we made this determination.) In this picture I'm getting Shayla's ski boots back on after a warm up and snack break at the lodge. They both did great today! (I decided a couple of years ago that I'm no longer one who tries to ski! My body just doesn't bounce back like it once did.)

It was great to see everyone at Shayne's mom's family party tonight! I just wish Tammy and their little ones would not have been under the weather so they could have joined us too. (This is the only picture I took today with any "orbs". I look at this and tell myself that either Christi, Joey, Grandma or Grandpa Gear were watching over us tonight!) My gut feeling it's Joey as in this picture is his precious little boy and his beautiful widowed wife.) Driving from the ski resort to the family get together late this afternoon Shayla kept saying Christi was sending us message. She noted TWO rainbows in the sky and also a cloud shaped like a unicorn - definitely Christi's traits!

Shayla loves her grandma Nee Nee.

Thanks to our wonderful host & hostess!
Grandma, you are missed! (Shay Shay and Grandma Gear, 1999)


A BLAST FROM THE PAST: Shayla still believes in Santa Claus; however, one day when she no longer believes I will show her this picture and tell her that "Santa" is really her daddy.

Shayne & Shay, 1999. This is one of my favorite pics of Shayla. We came home from Christmas Eve mass and Shayne "went to the store". While he was gone, Santa arrived. Neither girl wanted to sit on his lap, but I handed them to Shayne anyway, knowing one day we'd all laugh over it. This will probably be the last year Shayla believes as I think she's questioning things this year. (Maybe next year I won't be up at 6AM wrapping her Christmas presents in the bathroom, behind a locked door, like I was this morning. Actually, it was great fun, except my heart was pounding so hard. I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful family!)

I wasn't able to go to Shayne's mom's family party in December of 2005 as Shayla was ill. I'm grateful Shayne took some brief video clips of the event. I do remember Christi coming home and telling me how much fun it was. (And tonight I find I'm amazed at how well she could play the piano. Age 8)


4 Comments:

At 22/12/08 1:34 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Awww such sweet Christi videos! Its freezing here too in WI. Can't wait to warm up just a little bit!

 
At 22/12/08 4:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela sounds like you all had an absolute ball ! - How fun is that i've always wanted to ski , but never had the patience,time or money to do it !x Shayla you are AWESOME - Its not just your bias mum that thinks that sweetheart x
I am gobsmacked at how well Christi could play the piano - WOW she was 8 and playing like a pro !
Angela would it be possible to see the photograph of Christi , On the last video , at the end someone took a photo I was wondering if i could possibly see it If it's not to much trouble !?x Shayla looks ssssssssssssssssoooooooooooo grown up - It's scary ! what do you mean Santa isn't real lol x - I believed in Santa till i was 10 so shayla may not (as you say) believe next year x - lots of love Amber xxx

 
At 22/12/08 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post this was Angela! I loved hearing Christi's voice as she opened her gift (and threw out the trash! what a sweet girl!) and loved seeing all those photos, too.
Shayla, you're AMAZING, zipping around those slopes! Is there anything you can't do?!!! I don't think so!

 
At 22/12/08 8:26 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Wow Shayla I'm impressed with your skinng! I can not ski at all- only tried once and well I'm not quite coordinated enough to do it. :)

Glad you had fun with your Daddy!

Great clips of Christi too- great piano player she was.

Loads of love to all of you,
Heather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home