Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

It's Christmas Time

Thank you to everyone who was able to sign the petition for Kids Crusade for Cancer. I'm thrilled to report that the goal was reached. Hopefully, Jennifer will keep us posted. THANK YOU!

I also wanted to say thank you to all who gave me the websites to order inexpensive contact lenses. I didn't want to share the information until I received my lenses, wore them for at least a week and was happy with them. So now I can say, they're great! After checking prices on all of the sites shared with me, I ended up ordering them from Vision Direct. It was very easy and not a lot less $ than my eye doctor (unlike those amazing glasses) but definitely cheaper and I can see really well again now! Thank you, sweet Bloggers for sharing your expertise with me!

Over a week ago we put the tree up and hung the stockings. Hanging Christi's stocking always makes me cry; it's just not right. Reading her Christmas ornaments, just sickening as I always thought one day she'd grow up and I'd give them all to her to put on her own tree. "Baby's First Christmas, 1997" "Baby to Be 1996", etc., etc. Setting up her nativity set that she loved so much, terribly hard without her. I really would not do this if it were not for Shayla. It's just too hard.

(2005: Christi decorating our tree for the last time) I've not sent Christmas cards for seven years, but decided this year I will do it. I think I've not wanted to see our names without "Christi" with us so I ordered our cards and I did have "Christi" printed with our names too. Others may receive them and think I'm crazy, but one of the many lessons I learned on this journey is never to judge others. Here's wishing you and yours a fabulous weekend!

Christmas 1996 (Shayne, Angela & Baby inside Christi)
With Grandpa Thomas, December 1997 "Baby's First Christmas"
Christi's laughing as she's checking out the stockings with Grandma Nee Nee, 2004, age 7
In Philadelphia, 2003, age 6
age 5, 2002, Pretending to be a cat for Santa, Children's Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
At COSI with Traci & Jenn (Hariett and Elizabeth), age 5, 2002

FABULOUS NEWS! After rewriting Chapters 1, 2 & 3 of my dissertation over ten weeks this fall, my committee has approved it! Praise the Lord! I'm now completing all of the forms and papers to submit it to the IRB for approval. (That's the Institutional Review Board at Ohio State; it must be done because I am doing my research on human subjects - teachers! It's not like I'll be injecting them or anything, I'll "just" be interviewing them and having them complete questionnaires and respond to emails. I should be fine!) If all goes as planned, I will wrap it up this weekend, have my advisor sign the papers with me next week and off it will go to the IRB. I should then receive word in 3-5 weeks letting me know if I can proceed by beginning my actual investigation. I'm really excited!

4 Comments:

At 13/12/08 11:58 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

Angela, those pictures of Christi are so sweet! Thank you so much for sharing them. I think adding Christi's name to the cards is perfect. She's in everything you do and in all that everyone does in her honor. I'll always remember her; she is one of the reasons I volunteer at RMH. I think of you all every time I am there.

Many hugs,
Olivia

 
At 13/12/08 12:03 PM, Blogger Sheila Ferrell said...

Angela,
Maybe I'm not normal but I would want to receive a card from the Thomas' with Christi's name on it. She is a member of your family and always will be.
I can only guess that sometimes it is a little hard to explain, when asked how many kids you have, when they only see one beautiful girl standing before you but Christi should always be honored.
Christi will always live on in each of you. The lessons she taught has become a part of a lot of us. She is one of the sweetest lemonade girls!!
We will be praying for you this Christmas as well as for your research. May Christmas magic be sent to you from a very special angel.
Love, hugs and angel in the snow kisses from South Texas, Sheila

 
At 13/12/08 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! As a college-aged full time student, I have no idea how you manage to do what you do...a dissertation, two jobs, and family, all with great success, but it is awesome and inspiring to watch...especially as finals time is now upon us :)

I do know that Christi's love of learning keeps me inspired to keep that central to my reasons for working hard and striving for my best, just as she always did. GOOD LUCK with your research!
-A follower and fan, Joyce

 
At 13/12/08 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Thomas Family,

I have read your blog for quite awhile now and have never signed until now. Please know that when I've finished reading your entries that a prayer has been said for your family each time. I have struggled for so long as to what to write. I am in awe of such a fine family. What made me write today is when you mentioned you have not signed Christmas cards because you did not want to leave Christi's name out. I have a close family friend whom lost their dear daughter to a tragic car accident about 7 years ago. They too, did not want her named left out so they came up with this instead. After the funeral, they released purple balloons. Their daughters favorite color. They still do this each year on her birthday. Anyhow, the family now uses a rubber stamp of a balloon in purple ink in place of her name in the cards they send. Everyone knows the meaning behind it. That was just an idea that came to mind tonight.
Hugs tonight from Minnesota!
Deana K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home