Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

48 Hours in NYC: Saturday

I'm not certain why New Yorkers get a bad rap! Here's an amazing story! Keep in mind all of these pictures are brought to you by a sweet, sweet, sweet taxi driver! I have lifted him up in prayer countless times since Saturday afternoon. On Saturday, we were rushed for time so we took a cab from the restaurant where we were having lunch with our "cancer friends" to the Met to meet our art museum friends. I hopped out of the cab and quickly started walking toward the museum. I do remember hearing a taxi cab honking, but it's not like here where you honk to say hello to someone, it's NEW YORK, so I ignored it. Shayne, thankfully, turned around. You see my camera fell out of my coat pocket and the taxi driver behind the cab we were in kept honking until he got Shayne's attention to tell him my camera was out in the street! God's people are good! God Bless those awesome New Yorkers!
We took the little "Wanna Be Actress" on the 8AM tour of "NBC Studios" at Rockefeller Center. While they wouldn't allow us to take photos on the tour, I was able to take this one of Shayla in the gift shop. While I had no idea she didn't know, she learned that this symbol isn't a rainbow with a mistake, like she thought, but the NBC peacock! Oh, what this new generation doesn't know! (smile) On the tour, she was selected to be the weather reporter. That was quite a silly thrill and a tremendous learning experience.
Next it was on to our 10AM "Behind the Curtain of Wicked" at the Gershwin Theater.
This 90 minute tour was absolutely incredible! We all learned so much from Wicked performers! We learned about the: make-up and wigs, hidden microphones, how the show evolved, how the costumes are made, etc., etc., etc. It totally kept Shayla's attention the entire tour.
Next it was on to meet up at our friend's NYC apartment/house and then to walk to lunch. Unfortunately, what brings the families in this photo together is that all three families have lost a precious child to neuroblastoma. I can't help but look at this photo and long to have Penelope, James and Christi with us in person.
Her trip was so educational! We met up with sweet Carolyn and Nitza. They used to be her teachers at "Start with Art" - that free preschool art program Shayne took her to countless times. That preschool program where she met Veronica and learned that there was a preschool so close to the Ronald House when we had been trying to find something for her. As always, Nitza and Caroline answered all of our questions and taught us so much.
These are two of the brightest and sweetest women I've ever met!
OK, OK, we had some silly times at the Metropolitian Museum of Art too!
Shayla, our horse lover, loved this amazing painting.
Although late, we somehow managed to get through what seemed to me as the biggest traffic nightmare in the Times Square area and met up with Veronica as her dad dropped her off with us at MARS 2112 - a Martian themed restaurant we once took Christi & Shayla to eat at. They loved it! It was terribly crowded on a Saturday night, but Shayla and Veronica didn't seem to mind (or notice) at all!
I was thrilled Olvia was also able to come into Manhattan to spend the evening with me despite the fact she wasn't feeling the best. I enjoy her company and friendship so much! I dedicated my research propsal to her. Without her help and editing, I don't think there would be a dissertation!
After dinner we continued our walk through Times Square to get to the theatre where Shayne dropped off the four of us girls and he went off to get together with three "cancer dads". We really enjoyed Disney's "Little Mermaid". WOW!
The girls wanted to wait by the side door after the show with hopes of getting autographs. They were not disappointed. Yes, this is Ariel!
I'm sorry I cannot remember who he was!
This is the amazing 11 year old Flounder. He was wonderful! The girls liked the fact they noticed his eyebrows were still dyed or painted from where he didn't get all of his stage make up off after the show.
I thought we needed to share some desserts to end our perfect evening so Olvia suggested going to Roxy's in the heart of Times Square for cheesecake. Ahhhhh. Check out that Oreo cheesecake - wow!!!! It was absolutely scrumptious, not a bite went to waste, just to my waist! hee hee! We took a cab back to our hotel and Olivia continued on to the train station. Shayla was so happy Veronica was allowed to stay overnight with us. I was so happy Olivia could go to dinner and the show with me!

4 Comments:

At 10/12/08 10:13 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

I've been following your blog for some time now. It looks like your family had a great weekend in NYC. I actually live about 35 minutes north of Manhattan in CT. I have congenital heart disease and was in the city last Tuesday for a routine IV infusion. Once I was "free" I spent the rest of the day walking around NYC by myself. Your pictures remind me of my experience from last week. I walked around Rockefeller Center, went to see the window displays at Saks and Lord & Taylor, and ventured into the crowds at Times Square. It really is a magical place. (NYC, that is.) I couldn't be any more thankful to have the culture, art, restaurants, and top notch doctors of NYC at my finger tips. I'm happy you had such a wonderful time. I pray for your family frequently.

Rachel
25 yr old heart patient from CT

 
At 10/12/08 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heartfelt prayers for peaceful holidays. Shayla is a very special kid, she is strong just like her sister. She looks very happy and fabulous!

The picture of your three families at lunch gave me pause....that you have experienced joy and pain that was part of your children's lives--my heart goes out to you all.

Shirley
NJ

 
At 10/12/08 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heartfelt prayers for peaceful holidays. Shayla is a very special kid, she is strong just like her sister. She looks very happy and fabulous!

The picture of your three families at lunch gave me pause....that you have experienced joy and pain that was part of your children's lives--my heart goes out to you all.

Shirley
NJ

 
At 10/12/08 3:23 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Oh, I had so much fun!! Thank you so much for inviting me! And I felt so much better after seeing you. I'm pretty sure there was direct correlation there.

Loads of love,
Olivia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home