Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, December 08, 2008

The Story Doesn't End Here

The Story Doesn't End Here - that was the priest's message at Grandma's funeral on Friday. (Photo, Age 7, Christi playing her keyboard while visiting Grandma, March 05)
This photo was taken after the funeral of "The Cousins" all lined up, youngest to oldest. While not the best of circumstances by any means, it was still nice to get together with family. I'm just now updating the blog. (Missing in the photo is the youngest cousin, sweet and beautiful Tenille, who lives on the east coast and of course Joe who died in 2002.)
Grandma's visitation at the funeral home was on Thursday afternoon, with the funeral and burial on Friday. We are so glad Aunt V (Shayne's sister) was able to fly in from Phoenix so we could all be together. Isn't she a beauty?! Without a doubt, she's even more beautiful on the inside!

While going through Grandma's costume jewelry at her home on Thursday, Shayla and Vaunie decided grandma would love it if we would all wear a piece so we did. It was precious and I'm positive grandma loved it! Shayla selected a pin of a spool, needle and thread (Grandma was so talented at sewing). I wore a red bouquet of roses pin (red is my favorite color and Rose is my middle name). It was hard seeing the photos of grandma and grandpa with Christi as we went through old photos together on Thursday, but also nice to see them as well. I LOVED looking at the old photos of grandma when she was young.

Catching up with many relatives and friends of Shayne's parents on Thursday and Friday was delightful really. Some we had not seen since before Christi died. One sweet couple came up to us and while it must have been very hard on them I am so glad they did....and they brought up Christi. The gentleman choked out something like, "You did so much for your little girl. We're sorry she didn't make it." Shayne talked through his tears telling this gentleman that even though it's been over two years now it is still really, really hard. We adored her so much and thought she just might make it somehow. The Christmas season has been hard. Shayla and Shayne were recently cuddled up watching a movie while I sat on the chair reading. Then I noticed the tears pouring down his cheeks. He misses her tremendously.

I was nearly shellshocked once at the funeral home when we went to check on Shayla. She is soooooooo loved! I found her with Aunt V, Shayne's mom's friend and her husband. Now keep in mind Larry is a very large man. (He used to play professional football!) Shayla had him sitting on his knees playing a hand game with her and his wife. It was the funniest and sweetest thing! People are good! Amazing really! It was wonderful to catch up with sweet Juanita and Larry! We just don't see friends and relatives enough!

I was so honored to be a pallbearer for grandma's funeral. Shayne's aunt and uncle, who lost their son "Joe" at 36 in 2002, teased me the day before at the funeral home not to wear my high heeled boots. I told them not to worry I wouldn't. "I've been called many things, but graceful has never been one of them," I joked. They asked if I knew how heavy it would be and I said it wouldn't be a problem. I really wanted to do this for grandma. OK, they were right. It was VERY heavy, but I was so glad I could help. After the funeral, I went to check out the gravestone of Joe (Shayne's cousin) buried so close to grandma and grandpa. Tears rolled down my cheeks thinking how I loved having my students send him letters in the war as he bravely fought for our country and how Christi was newly diagnosed and in treatment at Columbus during his funeral so we didn't go. I've always felt bad about not going in person, but at the time I felt like I could not leave Christi in a hospital without ME with her. He was an awesome young man who should not have died, leaving behind his darling 1 year old son. Rest in peace, dear Joey!

Baby Christi with Grandma and Grandpa. Seeing this gives me comfort thinking they're all together and Christi's being taken care of. I know it's weird, but it makes me feel better about Christi. It's like you always tell your kid not to cross the street by themselves, not to go into a store by themselves, yet she went to Heaven - of all places - by herself! ERGH! Dear Grandma, please make certain she's safe and ok until I get there! I'm really trying hard to make it! (PHOTO: 1998)

8 Comments:

At 8/12/08 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you all were able to see family, which I'm sure made a sad situation bearable. I love that photo of everyone wearing Grandma Gear's pins -- too cute, and how special to have them.
Glad you're back home safe and sound. Thinking of you this Christmas season...I know it's got to be really tough...just know that lots of prayers are being said for you all.

 
At 8/12/08 6:36 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Thinking of you often.

I can't imagine your pain of missing Christi especially at Christmas time.

Sending you many prayers and much, much love,
Heather

 
At 9/12/08 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about only seeing family at funerals - perhaps a good new year's resolution to try to make more happy occasions where people can meet up! Sorry again for your loss.

I have to say that that photo of Christi at the top (which I don't think I've seen before) is just beautiful. I love the expression on your face and on that of Grandma Gear - the love and pride are very evident! I have no doubt that she is being looked after in heaven.

Sending you prayers,
Irene

 
At 9/12/08 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about only seeing family at funerals - perhaps a good new year's resolution to try to make more happy occasions where people can meet up! Sorry again for your loss.

I have to say that that photo of Christi at the top (which I don't think I've seen before) is just beautiful. I love the expression on your face and on that of Grandma Gear - the love and pride are very evident! I have no doubt that she is being looked after in heaven.

Sending you prayers,
Irene

 
At 9/12/08 9:28 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

Those words are so true; this is not the end at all. Your sweet grandmother and your entire family are in my prayers.

Loads of love,
Olivia

 
At 9/12/08 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this kind of has nothing to do with anyone or anything but did you notice grandpa has the same shirt on in both pictures. i find that funny because when i look back at pictures of my grandma and grandpa they always seem to have the same shirt on through out the years, lol.

 
At 10/12/08 12:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am so sorry for the loss of Grandma. She was a very lucky lady to have been loved by so many!! I am sure she brought many blessings to your family throughout the years. I am also sure she is catching up with Christi and getting the tour of a lifetime. :)

God Bless
Staci c.
Ham. Sq. NJ

 
At 19/12/08 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting in print all those beutiful words. I miss you all. And am very thankful we spent what time we did together. All my love Sis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home