Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

FU_NB06

The Night Before Christmas Last Year (2005, Age 8)


She gave so much, and now will continue to give!



While Christi was on her death bed at CHOP in September, Shayne asked Dr. Maris if they would try to establish her cell line after she died. Dr. Maris looked down and paused. It took a bit for him to regain his composure, then he responded, "I've never had a parent ask me that. You don't need to do that. Of course we would be honored to try to establish a new cell line from Christi's disease." I'm so grateful Shayne had the wisdom and foresight to inquire about this. The best time to get a new cell line to grow is when the body is heavily burdened with disease and very soon after death.

We signed the paperwork and days later, about thirty minutes after her death we sat, cried, laughed and chatted through many tears as they drew large amounts of blood from her tiny, fragile, pale body. We knew Christi's NB had seen all of the front line agents and since she lived solely on experimental treatments from March of 2003 on, her cancer was exposed to nearly all of the current clinical treatments available too - yet nothing worked. Certainly there has to be something that will hault this wicked demon!

We knew trying to establish a cell line would be the very last thing Christi could possibly do to help others and if it worked it would be something that would continue on and on.....until the cure was found. We've prayed that her cell line would grow so that the could try to cure others, even though she succumbed. We knew Christi would want to help in any way she possibly could! This ties in directly to the $12,000 she raised with her "Alex & Christi's Lemonade Stands." Knowing Christi she would have joked with her beautiful little giggle, "If I'm dead, then it won't hurt and I can still help others with NB! Let's go for it!" This was the very last thing she could possible do to help contribute to the search for a cure for NB.

Today we are thrilled beyond belief to learn that, even though there was only a 20% chance of it working, Dr. Maris informed us that they did establish a new cell line and they will be able to try many different agents on it over and over again in the future to try to kill the cancer cells. We hope this helps reach a cure for all individuals currently fighting and yet to be diagnosed with neuroblastoma and other forms of cancer! With Angel Christi now assisting in the labs, the cure can't be that far down the road (smile).

Dr. Maris liked the name (presented in proper research study form, of course) Shayne gave it back in September (FU_NB06) and Maris told us, "If it grows, that's what it will be called." Nurse Pat Brophy commented, "I'll have a hard time reading all of the research reports without laughing." We think there couldn't be a better name for this evil disease that took away our precious Christi and now causes little Shayla to ask, "Am I still a sister?" F@#K You Neuroblastoma!

Although the news mad me cry today, we now take a bit of comfort in knowing that Christ's legacy of helping others will live on through the work of researchers doing science (one of her favorite subject) trying to cure hundreds of NB patients diagnosed every year around the globe. If we could do anything to prevent another family from experiencing the anguish we've had, we would!

While the news is tremendous for the NB community, I actually found myself very sad many times today. I think it is because I've lived on "hope" for so long. This was the very last earthly thing I was still holding out hope for. Thankfully, our wish came true; yet, now there is nothing I can still hold out and hope for.....and when (hopefully not "if") it is determined which agents will actually stop this beast that took her life, I think it'll be bittersweet too. (And if they discover that curing her would have involved something harmless and simple like vitamin C, seaweed and a dap of vanilla........ then I'll really be brokenhearted.)


Her legacy lives on!


Dr. Maris said:

We were successful in creating the FU_NB06 line. We decided to pool our resources and go for the line in one place, and the cell line was generated in Dr. Reynolds lab in Los Angeles. The line will be available for research studies in the next week or so.

We will use some of Christi’s preserved stem cells (a test vial) to
have a matched set of DNA—this is important for our research.




Dec. 2001: A Happy Holiday Christi! Photo taken one morning before going to preschool at the wonderful Betty Jane (now called "New Generations).

28 Comments:

At 12/12/06 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME! Christi truly lives on and I KNOW she will help find a cure.

 
At 12/12/06 5:07 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

I am so sad that Christi had to die... but you know what, when you told me that you decided to do this, I didn't have ANY doubt that it would work.... just that deep down gut feeling... I guess just knowing Christi and how feisty and determined she was! She was not going to let NB get the best of her and here she is having the last word! Oh Christi! You're such an amazing young lady and my life is ever so blessed to have spent time with you. Of course I'm sure SHE probably knew even before Dr. Maris...and the party in heaven is probably still going on. Angela and Shayne, you are such selfless human beings.... I must admit, when I saw the heading of this latest post....I cried too....happy and sad tears. Love you both... and Shayla too. xoxo Sylvia

 
At 12/12/06 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is great news! Hopefully that will help them learn more about her cancer and help other children someday.

 
At 12/12/06 5:23 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Fantastic news! Though, was there really any doubt that it would be a success, with Christi up there watching over proceedings? It must be an incredible weight off your minds, though I do understand your mixed feelings regarding the potential outcome. Still, only the best are sacrificed for the greater good, and we can take comfort in the fact that she was surely welcomed into the fold by a very proud and loving Lord, just as we are so proud of her for living by His example. Heaven's #1 Angel and STILL kicking NB's butt! Way to go, Christi!

 
At 12/12/06 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMAZING!!!!! Truly.



F@#K YOU NEUROBLASTOMA!!!

 
At 12/12/06 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So so so Great! I am sure your sweet little angel is Happy too!

Lots of love,

Misty

 
At 12/12/06 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Thomas Family,
I praised God as I read this post!!! I think Christi is tickled pink that this was successful and I pray that this will help others families from having to experience the anguish of this horrible disease. What an unselfish act of love that this world has received, once again, because of this precious angel. Although I wish there was no reason for Christi to ever of had the need of her own website, I am so grateful that your family was able to share with the world your courage and your strength as a family. May Christi's spirit show you Christmas magic and may the tears that fall be wiped away by the grace and love of our Heavenly Father.
In His Service,
Sheila

 
At 12/12/06 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Shayne, Angela, and Shayla,
The cell line from Christi's precious life, is the truest testament of love and sacrifice. Leave it to that angel to have this piece of her human life to help others! It DOES seem like this "miracle" (FU NB2006) is from God. I think I won't be surprised if this DOES become the miracle to cure any other children who become ill from NB. I'm sure it doesn't seem like much of a consolation because you had to let your beautiful child go on to her final home, but YOUR legacy also lives on through Christi and this cell line. This truly IS a miracle and the world thanks you all for what you did!
Love and prayers for peace and comfort,
Diane (from Gurnee, IL)

 
At 12/12/06 9:36 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I have goosebumps and the tears of happiness and sadness are flowing heavily right now! I can't believe that they got her cell ine to grow (actually I can believe it because she made almost EVERYTHING possible!) I am so happy for what th future holds for this terrible beast but like you I will truly be heartbroken if the cure is simple and painless ... if only! I know Christi is SO proud of you all and she is beyond ecstatic that her line will grow to help other kids suffering ... I will continue to pray for that cure that she so rightously deserved and pray for all of you as you still struggle with her loss forever ... and I say the same thing F#*& YOU NB!

Love from my family to yours!

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 
At 12/12/06 9:53 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

With tears streaming down my face-I'm so happy that all of our prayers were answered and that the cell line grew.

Being that it was from the ever amazing Angel Christi I should have expected no less!

May God richly bless the researchers as they search for cure for this beast!

May God hold you, Shayne and Shayla extra close. And Yes Shayla you are still a sister you always will be! The BEST sister Christi could have ever dreamed of!

With love, admiration and many prayers for always,
Heather

 
At 12/12/06 10:11 PM, Blogger Just Me said...

GO CHRISTI, GO!!! Why am I not surprised that the cell line grew!?? Christi continues to amaze us!

 
At 12/12/06 11:16 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Dear Angela, Shayne, and Shayla -
It has been many months since I first started reading Christi's blog. I stumbled upon it from another website and felt drawn to your family's story. My husband and I used to live in Cleveland and have a little friend there who was diagnosed with NB two years ago. I just wanted you to know that you have all been in my prayers so often. Your family is beautiful, Shayla is beautiful, Christi is beautiful and will always be beautiful. Thank you for all you share and take heart in how Christi and your family touch the lives of even complete strangers. I check your blog at least once a day and feel blessed to have these snapshots into the life of your precious daughter, Christi. I too got a good laugh out of FU_NB06 (once I got the joke!) and know that your sweet daughter would have giggled had she been privvy to what the FU stood for! How wonderful that we can all say (even those of us who do not know Christi) "I thank my God every time I remember you". God's richest blessing always.

 
At 13/12/06 5:34 AM, Blogger Kim said...

The amazing Christi continues to give!! And what a wonderful gift! I am so glad that the cell line was established and I am sure that Christi is very proud!

Kim

 
At 13/12/06 8:43 AM, Blogger Robin said...

What terrific news about Christi's cell line. How awesome is that. She lives on in the cell line and in the hearts of many around the world.

 
At 13/12/06 8:43 AM, Blogger Robin said...

What terrific news about Christi's cell line. How awesome is that. She lives on in the cell line and in the hearts of many around the world.

 
At 13/12/06 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have been reading your site for months now. I feel as though I know you and your beautiful family. I have wanted to write many times, but never knew what to say, since we don't know each other.

Today is different. I cried at the news today. I am not surprised by it, as I truly believe that Christi was the kind of child that "got things done".

I will also not be surprised if this turns out to be her legacy. If in fact, she was given to you to cure this dreadful disease.

I am amazed at your strength. I am a better mom because of your postings. I yell less, hug more; get angry less, laugh more; I am more patient and try harder to enjoy every second with my three boys.

You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I know this holiday season will be difficult for you. Know that there are many, many people like me that check your site yet don't write that are thinking of you and wishing you and your family the very best.

Fondly,

Sydney Posner

 
At 13/12/06 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there's an award status for angels - Christi's wings must be made of gold ! What an awesome gift of her life that keeps on giving Especially with such odds of only 20% of sucsess!
I am grateful for the link to your site - I got about a yr. ago from Katia's site & from there, I pass along the great inspiration of sharing hope on the wings of a ladybug. You 2 are such GREAT moms - it leaves me speechless ! The world is so blessed to have caring ppl. like you ALL ~ especially future ppl. who WILL combat that nasty NB - Thanks to HERO CT !!!!
Sincerely,
~ with so much gratitude :)
Kristy

 
At 13/12/06 11:21 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Praise God - The little scientist's work continues! Knowing how much Christi always loved helping "sick children" she must really be smiling down on this. I pray for all three of you, that you may find your way. You are in my thoughts and prayers,
Love Holly

 
At 13/12/06 1:15 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

With tears in my eyes all I can say is "WOW, WHAT A GIFT!" Christi has given the ultimate gift of life and hope to soooooo many battling the beast. What a gift that you - Angela, Shayne, Shayla and Christi have given. Bitter sweet yes as the beast had to take Christi in order to help others. That part really really sucks! The name FU_NB06 is the absolute perfect name given by the perfect Christi. What can the world say, but THANK YOU and Fly High Sweet Christi - Soar with the Angels and SMILE BIG Christi for look what you have done!

 
At 13/12/06 3:22 PM, Blogger Frapper said...

I can't even imagine having to go through losing a child and then deciding to try and establish a cell line from her as you two have done. I think this is above and beyond what anyone would think to do when they've just lost their beloved daughter, and all I can say is that you two are indeed very wonderful and special parents. You were able to put aside your own grief for a moment, and try to help other parents and other children, so that hopefully a cure could be found for neuroblastoma. I doubt I'd have the presence of mind to consider that, or the heart for it, yet you two, along with Christi, rose to the challenge of trying to make things better for other people. My prayers are with you as you contemplate having done the last "earthly" thing you could for Christi; I think it's such a wonderful thing that you did, and Christi, with her love for science, is undoubtedly pleased that the cell line grew well.

 
At 13/12/06 5:28 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Angela,

You havent made me cry like this is awhile. THANK YOU!! GO CHRISTI.......... You Rock!

Love

Lisa www.edenadams.com

 
At 14/12/06 4:53 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Contratulations, Thomas Team! I cannot think of a more fitting tribute to Christi than to have her be an intregal part of the search for a cure.

 
At 14/12/06 9:15 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful news! Praying it is the key to finding the cure to this awful disease. You are always in our prayers.

My two little miracle nephews:
www.caringbridge.org/visit/asherandjacob

 
At 14/12/06 1:32 PM, Blogger nikki the red said...

words can't describe how happy i am right now! tears are rolling down my face! "our" fabulous ct is STILL working her magic!

 
At 14/12/06 5:41 PM, Blogger Noah's Mommy said...

Missed a day in checking in...a lot has happened!! I remember when I felt like I was doing "the last thing" that I could do for Noah here on earth and it filled me with such sadness that I dragged my feet for about 2 years trying not to actually finish it. The truth is that there are new things that can be done in his precious memory all the time. I know that this is not the same as hoping the last hope that you've described...but the feeling resonates with me none-the-less.
You are so brave, so articulate, so obviously full of love. I truly believe that great things are yet to come to you, Angela. I have been inspired and humbled by your transparency. Good thing I don't live near Ohio...I might just show up on your doorstep with refreshments and a box of kleenex (I'm not a stalker ~ I swear). God bless you and your beautiful family at Christmas and always.
With a mother's love,

 
At 14/12/06 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FU_NB06.. what a wonderful, wonderful and amazing Christmas gift for your family! I'm thrilled!

 
At 15/12/06 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What FANTASTIC news! Way to go Christi!! Thanks to the good Lord for guiding the actions of all that helped ensure the success of the cell line growth. I am so excited. I was praying for Christi and your family in the shower this morning...how wonderful that God has answered my prayer! Hugs to you all!

 
At 15/12/06 11:48 AM, Blogger Jennifer Saks said...

Angela, you DO still have something else to hope for--you can hope this new cell line will lead to treatment options that work in the future! Don't feel this is the end of the road...it's just the beginning.
Jennifer Saks
Portland OR

 

Post a Comment

<< Home