Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Thank You

December 2000 (CT 3 years, Shayla 1 years) This picture always looks like Christi cut her own bangs, but she didn't! Really it was just the way I had the layered bangs combed (or didn't, actually!). Regardless, I love the picture and now treasure it like never before!!

It was a long night, due to Shayla's vision therapy in Toledo but we're home now and Shayla's sound asleep. I just keep reminding myself that Shayla's grades have all improved one letter grade in every subject so the therapy must be helping! She really works hard on her nightly vision homework and we're very proud of her, even if we're tired of doing all of the eye exercises ourselves. I also remind myself that driving an hour and forty minutes each way for Shayla is NOTHING compared to what we've done for Christi's treatments. This is a curable problem and treatment exists within our own state; we are so lucky to have all of that!

The incredibly thoughtful and kind blog comments regarding FU_NB06 have been absolutely amazing and have tenderly touched us deeply. It's beyond our comprehension to learn that sweet Angels on earth would check in and actually comment too. THANK YOU! We are so blessed to be surrounded by your incredible love and support! Thank you! Tomorrow Shayne will be talking with a reporter from a science news magazine about it. (I'll keep you posted.) We also received some of the sweetest of emails from fellow warrior parents, nurses and researchers. This one in particular really stood out for us:

"....and her story has left me with a new sense of hope and ambition. You see, I am a research assistant in a scientific laboratory where we grow and culture tumor cells for research. Every day, I work with these cells and I know how resilient those little suckers are! There have been many times that I think it's hopeless and a waste of time. But then I think of Christi and the other children before her that have succumbed to cancer, and I know it's all worth it. I read the post about Christi's established cell line (awesome name, by the way!) and as someone who consistently works with such cells, I am astounded by your generous gift to science. Hopefully, one day I'll have the opportunity and the honor to work with FU_NB06. But until then, I'll keep on doing my part for oncology research, for Christi and all her little friends too."

God's people are good and we thank you for helping to get us through! I've come to the understanding that I will never "get over it" and things will never be "normal" again; yet, I have come to understand that there will be a "new normal" and we're working on that. One day at a time.....

4 Comments:

At 14/12/06 12:39 AM, Blogger Frapper said...

I love the new Christmas picture you have up--you must've known the neatest photography studio as all the backdrops for the pictures of the girls are so neat! It's great that Shayla's grades all improved--I hope she continues to do well with her vision therapy, and just think, if you keep up with the exercises, you might never need bifocals! How wonderful it is that you've heard first hand from someone who does research on cell lines, and that Christi's cell line has reinspired them. I look forward to hearing more about Shane's interview with the science magazine.

 
At 14/12/06 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Thomas Team: I share your bittersweet happiness at the successful establishment of the cell line appropriately named FU_NB06. How wonderful that Christi gets HER last word via science on this disease!!! Through my tears, chills and ongoing awe at all of you - I smiled and thought of Christi as the Everyrready Battery Bunny - No Matter WHAT - Your wonderful daughter keeps going and going....

 
At 14/12/06 9:44 AM, Blogger Lisa Krenz said...

I knew that the miracle of Christi would live on in her cell line for years to come. You both are so courageous and honorable and I look up to both of you beyond words can say. I long to have the faith that you carry in your hearts.
God Bless
Lisa Krenz

 
At 14/12/06 11:46 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Angela, Shayne and Sweet Shayla ... I read this on another site and thought of Christi immediately ... I know that nothing will be normal again for you and your family and for that I am eternally sorry and wish I could change things for you ... I know the love all have for each other will grow and the reunion with Christi in heaven when you all arrive will be AMAZING! God Bless you all!

Mommy, I dreamed you a letter

This comes from Heaven above

Even though I’m up here

I can still feel your love

In Heaven there is no sorrow

There’s never any pain or fear

And would you believe I’ve not been sick

One time since I’ve been here?

You’d be so proud of me, Mommy

I can do so many things

And everyone says I look real cute

In my Halo and my wings

Every year at Christmas

We have a great big tree up here

And guess who gets to be the Angel

On top of the tree this year

Mommy, I dreamed you this letter

That I’m sending you tonight

To tell you not to worry

And let you know that I’m all right

Sometimes I hear you crying

And I wish you weren’t so sad

Cause I think you’re the best Mom

Any Angel ever had

So please don’t feel bad for me

I’m in God’s tender care

And he wanted me to tell you

That he hears your every prayer

I know you miss me, Mommy

You know I miss you, too

But remember, me and God

Are always watching over you

We want you to have a good life

Full of happiness and joy

I’ll see you in your dreams, Mommy

Love, Your Little Girl

Love from my family to yours!

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home