Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Thanks, Tigers!

About 30 school days after Christi was buried, I returned to the classroom. I was extremely hestitant and fearful about going back to work, but my students and their families are absoultely fabulous and thankfully teaching has continued to be excellent therapy for me, just as it was during the majority of Christi's treatment years. I will admit that at two different times since I returned I had to step out into the hallway when I felt the tears starting to roll, but that has been it! (One of those times I was caught by a sweet middle school student who said, "Can I give you a hug?" I thanked her while responding, "I'm afraid that will only make me cry harder. I'm ok. I'm just missing Christi." Our kids are the greatest! In this picture you can see I'm very proud to be with some of our amazing students celebrating their hard work in my classroom last week. Tomorrow will be our final day of school for 2006. I will definitely miss my students over our break and I look forward to working with our awesome kids in 2007.

It has been incredibly heartwarming to some "Christi Thomas Memorial Fund" contributions arrive in her fund in recent weeks, most likely due to the holiday season of giving. We will share our exciting plans in January for how her memorial fund money will be utilized for years to come in ways we think she'd definitely approve of!

Since I couldn't buy Christmas presents for Christi, I found a few things I knew she would have liked and I wrapped them up for Kaylyn and Theresa - two of Christi's dear school friends. I couldn't muster up the courage to deliver them myself, but Shayla was up for the mission. Thanks to help from a dear fellow teacher friend, they were delivered! I hope they all have a very merry Christmas with their wonderful families! Christi would want that!
Christi's 8th birthday party (May 2005) in Columbus at the Embassy Suites Hotel "Slumber Party!"

My favorite Christmas picture of the girls is coming soon, but tonight I'll share this one of "Baby's First Christmas" (Christi, December 1997)

Today is the 3rd month anniversary of Christi's earthly death. It's hard to believe it's been 90 days and yet our pain is just as raw. I hear time heals so I remain hopeful. Perhaps tomorrow will be a better day!

7 Comments:

At 19/12/06 8:51 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I was thinking of you this morning, when I got up and looked at the clock and suddenly realized it was the 19th.

Sending you love, prayers and many cyber hugs!

Lots of love for always,
Heather

 
At 19/12/06 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow. I am...I'm having a difficult time typing with the tears in my eyes. I just looked at yesterday's post. The poem has been a personal favorite of mine since I first saw it. And the picture of Christi in the box? Oh my. What a sweet thing for a child to do for their parent...and how heartbreaking to look at it now and think, "That's what I want for Christmas this year (and every day for the rest of my life)!!" I hope the picture also brings back some happy memories.

Thank you so much for continuing to share your journey with us. The four of you have touched so many lives. You continue to be in my prayers.

 
At 20/12/06 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your girls are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing their Christmas pictures.

That's all you can do is hope that tomorrow will be a better day. We all have to have hope.

 
At 20/12/06 2:23 PM, Blogger Frapper said...

I too hope that today's a better day for you. It's hard to believe it's been three months since Christi left, and I'm sure that it's not getting easier for you or your family. I do pray that there are times when you don't hurt as much though; I'm glad that you have such supportive co-workers so that being at school is a little easier. I love Christi's first Christmas picture--such a darling little outfit for a darling little girl. Thanks for sharing so many of your precious family photos with us.

 
At 20/12/06 3:45 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Every time I wrote the date yesterday I thought of Christi.

I don't know that time "heals", but I think each day that you get through helps to adjust to this new "normal". Every anniversary, every holiday, every time you see one of Christi's friends, every time you talk about Christi's favorite things...all the beautiful reminders of Christi's amazing life... yes, I believe there will be some day that you can experience one of these without crying. You may even smile. And giggle. And then cry again. Sort of like a scab on a sore that is bumped and opens...but eventually the scab becomes tough enough and small enough and then all that remains is the scar. Always visible, but not hurting quite as bad, and never, ever forgotten.

I remember a family I met when I was a teen volunteer. Their son died of a brain tumor. Years later his mom would share how it would stab at her heart to see the children that were in her son's class going off to high school, and then college....and she wondered if they still remembered their little playmate. My prayer is that Christi's friends always feel comfortable talking about their special friend. I know their lives will never be the same.

Holding you close and sending lots of love your way. Sylvia xoxo

 
At 20/12/06 11:10 PM, Blogger The Rees Family said...

Here's hoping you have a good Holiday season. You're all still in my thoughts & prayers.
Julie Rees
Napoleon, OH

 
At 21/12/06 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of your family and wishing you all the best and lots of strength to get through the holidays. I'm sure Christi is looking down on you and watching to see what sort of exciting things happen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home