Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, December 22, 2006

Christmas Time: The girls are sporting more lovely Christmas dresses - nearly all purchased at garage sales, but don't they look lovely!

PHOTO: 3 1/2 year old Christi, I mean "Rudy" - note the sticker on her nose. She LOVED pretending to be Rudolph! (December 2000)

Shayla and I stopped by the cemetary yesterday to wish Christi a Merry Christmas. We were plesantly surprised to see a new gift left for her by a sweet fellow S.E. 5th grader. On the back she wrote, "I miss U Christi." It was a lovely Angel statue and Shayla asked if we could take it because it might get damaged out in the cold weather. With our new guardian angel in our van, the two of us had an uneventful 3 1/2 hour voyage to my sister's. Shayla is now in all her glory being surrounded by three awesome cousins to play with!

I was able to chat with my beautiful niece, Shelby, as I took her shopping late last night. Our conversation started when I missed my turn and had to turn around in a cemetary. We said a prayer for all of the deceased souls before I headed back out. Then she freely told me how she talks to Christi and about how they shared a special bond and really had a connection. She went on to tell me about some of her dreams she's had since Christi died and some other things. It was incredibly comforting to me. They were incredibly good friends!

Today I will give Christi's cousins each a book from her bedroom. Shayla also has selected a small item from Christi's room to give to each of the kids. Last night I returned the blue ceramic unicorn statue Christi painted with Aunt Tina when she stayed here with her in July. First on our agenda for today however is going to watch Shelby's school show and then I'm picking Ashley up early to take her on a special shopping mission!

Shelby meets Christi for the very first time, days after Christi's birth. (May 1997)
These two girls hit it off early on. (Strangly enough this picture was taken 8 years to the day before Christi died.) Shayne is holding Christi (left) and Shelby at (my cousin) Lora & Chris's wedding. I feel bad about Christi dying on their wedding anniversary, but perhaps Christi picked this special day. (She had a good time at their wedding! I know I have memories of it - all thanks to the photographer....."Where is that child's mother??" was said in reference to Christi running around while Shayne was "caring" for her and I was(pregnant with Shayla) and visiting with my aunts.)
Shayla's birthday (Shelby, left. Christi, right) Photo 2001
Christi's fourth birthday (May 2001)
Last Christimas (Dec. 2005)

5 Comments:

At 22/12/06 9:03 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

I'm glad you were able to chat with Shelby about Christi and that it brought you some comfort.

I'm sure her cousins will treasure forever the special things you are giving them from Christi's room.

I love the pictures of Christi with Shelby! What beauties! Both of them.

Please give Shelby a hug from me!

May God bless and comfort these precious little souls.

With all my love and prayers for always,
Heather

 
At 22/12/06 1:50 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Dear Thomas Family ~ I know that the Holiday is unbearable for you all and I know you want nothing more than to have your entire family back the way it was meant to be - please know that I am praying for all of you and think of you all the time! May God hold you close during this time as he has during the last 4 years ... I am so sorry for all that has happened and I will never forget your Sweet Christi and all that she has taught me ... my family and I are closer to God now more than ever ... oh and my 4 year old managed to raise and save $145.00 from birthday and Christmas Money to donate to the Minnesota Animal Shelter ... we are delivering the check tomorrow and to take pictures! She donated them in Christi's name ... I always read her the journal entries when they could be understood by a 4 year old ... she ALWAYS mentioned how much Christi LOVED animals as does my daughter! God Bless Angela, Shayne and Shayla ...

Merry Christmas from my family to yours!

Rebekah Clark
Prior Lake, MN
mommy_jaden@yahoo.com

 
At 22/12/06 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite picture of Christi and Shelby is the "Flashes of Hope" one. I hope you are enjoying time with your sister, and the entire family!

 
At 22/12/06 6:33 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Hi Shelby! I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your stories with Christi's mom....not everyone is comfortable talking about death and dying and I admire you for that gift. You are indeed very, very special. From all that I have read since following Christi, you are a very important part of her life. You are both so lucky! My best friend died of cancer when we were 13 (a long time ago!) and I know that my life has been greatly blessed by Ann, even now. I still talk to Ann and there are things that happen in my life that I know she and God have a hand in. I hope you have a very nice Christmas. Would you please do me a favor?...give Angela and Shayla a BIG hug for me? ....and that hug they give you back...that's from me too. xoxo love, sylvia

 
At 22/12/06 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart breaks even more for your family. The relationship between Christi and Shelby reminds me so much of my own relationship with my cousin Gia, who was 2.5 years older then me. Unfortunately, she died in June of 2005 at the age of 21. It is physically painful to me to remember how I dealt with Gia's death and I know all too well how Shelby feels. I grieve for your family. Christi is so incredibly precious. I cannot even begin to fathom how you are coping.

Keeping you in my prayers always,
Phyllis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home